Unexpected (Part 2)

February 1993

It was a normal day, and as a manager I opened our store at the stroke of ten. It was a weekend, and the video store was always very slow during the early hours of the day and afternoon. I used the time to do various tasks that needed to be done. No one else wanted to do them. When those were complete, I went out to the curb drop box and brought in a bunch of films. The store was empty.

Bringing the movies inside, I began checking them in and rewinding those videos that the previous renter left undone. Popping the protective cases open, slapping them closed after checking for the correct tape, and scanning them into the system had become somewhat of an art form for me. And it was a challenge to see how many movies could be carried at one time and put back into their proper place.

I put most of the videos back and left several new titles on the counter for customers who were in a hurry. I leaned against the counter and looked outside for a minute or two. Our store had windows for walls on two sides of the building, so when it was beautiful we could enjoy the view. The sky was blue with very few clouds, and the sun shone down. It was my favorite part of the day.

Realizing that I did not want to be at work I sighed and went over to the computer we used for management duties. I was working on something when I heard the exterior and interiors door open. I looked over and gave a friendly smile to whoever was coming inside. It was important to greet the customer right.

"Welcome," I called.

"Hi," the customer replied with a smile.

I immediately recognized her. It was Tamie, the girl I used to say hello to on my way to 4th period after lunch. She was a senior now. Remembering something I needed, I walked over to the office for a couple of moments. Returning to the front, I saw that she was perusing the new films I had left on the front counter. I decided I would go over to the register in case she wanted to check out soon.

As I was walking I saw her standing there from behind, and I was really struck by the beautiful woman before me. She was wearing white tennis shoes, white socks, blue jean shorts that were modest but ended above mid-thigh, and a light colored t-shirt. Her legs were tanned, smooth, and muscular. Her long blond hair was gorgeous. I was completely blindsided and did not expect to feel the way I did in that moment. A woman had never looked so attractive in to me in my life.

I managed to make my way back to the register in case she needed me to check her out. I could not walk over to her at that moment to see if she needed help because I was so overwhelmed. I did my best to look relaxed and keep a professional persona, but as an eighteen year old, I would need a moment to get myself in order. I took some deep breaths and waited quietly.

Tamie made her way to the new release wall after a couple of minutes I felt better. I decided that would be a good time to shelve the new films on the counter. I loaded up an arm full and made my way through the titles starting with "A." Tamie started looking from "Z" and we would meet somewhere in the middle. Around "M" I paused in my duties and smiled at her, "Can I help you find anything?" I asked in a friendly manner.

She was crouching down looking at a movie on the bottom shelf. Standing back up she smiled again and shook her head. "No. I'm just looking," she said.

I nodded as I moved passed to put away the few remaining videos. "Let me know if you need anything," I said.

"Okay," she replied in her friendly way.

I made my way back to the cash register and relaxed. The sudden feelings that had overwhelmed me earlier had seemed to pass, and as I talked with her they did not return. I ran a hand through my hair and looked outside for a couple of minutes wishing I was at the beach or something.

I turned back to my register and unlocked it. A couple of other customers had made their way into the store as well and I greeted them too. Then I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Tamie was approaching my counter to check out. I looked down at my screen to make sure it was ready for the transaction, and then I looked up to take care of her. Our eyes made contact.

There was an explosion. Not in the store, but inside of me. How do I describe what happened inside my heart at that moment when I don't understand it? A pulsing, powerful energy bloomed inside the core of my being and spread outward like fire, and a wave of emotions slammed into me. There was no time, and there was no world. Everything disappeared, and all that existed in that moment was her.

Being overwhelmed earlier was only a small, insignificant prelude to this moment. I had seen her before many times in school, and we had spoken even if it was just a greeting or asking her if she needed help. I had never felt a manifestation of energy like this before, and I was consumed in its fire and power.

With an effort, I managed to check out her movies. I am not sure if I even spoke, nor do I remember what she rented. She paid and moved past the security barrier to pickup her videos. I turned and gave them to her. I believe I managed to talk at some point to tell her when they were due back. Tamie smiled, took her movies, and made her way outside. I felt the energy from that moment wrapping my soul for hours like a shroud before it dissipated.