Chapter 3: True Hearts

"Arabella! Wow!" 

I see my friends' faces frozen in shock. Briar is the first one to say something. 

"Wow, Arabella, you look... beautiful." 

"Briar, come on..." I say, not daring to look in the mirror. 
"I don't even want to go, quit trying to butter me up!" I say, forcing a laugh. 

"No, I'm serious!" Cedar chimes in, smiling as she places her hands on my shoulders, turning me to look in the mirror. 

 I let out a loud, sharp gasp. My hair was in its normal style, part of my curly bangs swept to the side, tied up with a small ponytail in the back, hiding it with a bow, the other side of my bangs falling on its natural curl. My hair was a little lighter curled at the ends, making it bounce and swing with every move. on top, a flower-adorned headband was sitting on my head. My lips were painted a beautiful glossy pink, my eyes outlined in a dark brown,  blending in with my darkish skin. 

I smile, looking down at my dress. It was so... me. Simple color scheme, simplistic yet fancy dress. It had a darker pastel yellow shirt on over part of my dress, black lace stitched on delicately by Lizzie. Attached to the bottom is a see-through orange layer of the skirt, with the same skirt but bigger and pink underneath it. The large puffy sleeves, small collar, and solid layer of the dress was a bright pastel pink, covered in cherry blossoms. Underneath it all was a beautiful white petticoat. Tying them together, was a beautiful yellow bow wrapped around my waist. Finally, I had a pair of leggings, matching the yellow shirt with black lace, my bright pink ballet slippers tied daintily, finished with a dark pink bow. 

"Wow, Briar... I look..." 

"SPELLTASTIC!!!" Ashlynn smiles brightly. 

"Nice." Cerise says, giving me a thumbs up. 

"Now, for the finishing touch, Briar says, "Smile."

I giggle and the girls squeal in delight. 

"O-Okay guys!" I say, catching my breath. "Let's not keep everyone waiting..."

As we enter the dance, I immediately want to go back. The girls walked in so confidently, smiling and laughing. I just hid behind Ashlynn. All eyes were on them, and I did not want anyone's eyes on me. Then, from across the room, I spot Darling. I speed over but turn back as soon as I see who she was talking to. Dexter and Daring. I can't be around both of them at the same time. If Daring found out that I had a crush on his brother, he would surely tell him. Daring canNOT keep a secret. 

"Oh, Arabella!" I wince as Darling calls my name, but I turn around, forcing a smile. 
Why the hex she would call me over there, knowing that I can't form a sentence around Daring, for fear of Dexter finding out my secret? Sadly, before that question can be answered, my legs walk over to her, my brain screaming to turn around as I smile and wave at her, stopping dead in my tracks when I see Dex. 

He was stunning. Honestly, he was. He was wearing his normal clothes, but he had added a little flair here and there. Most people didn't really dress up tonight, and to be honest, the people who planned are really the only ones who did, but when I saw Dex, I immediately wished I hadn't. He barely said anything. 

"HEY! IS THAT RAVEN! IM GONNA GO TALK TO RAVEN! BYE GUYS! SEE YA!" 
I rush off, actually finding Raven, and smiling. 

"Wow," she says, "How many pastries did Briar buy to put you in that thing?" 
I laugh and see what she's holding in her hand. 

"Ooooh! Is that a..." I see the handwriting on the note and feel tears prick at my eyes. 
"That's a... love letter... from Dexter..." I say, not bothering to hide the sadness that seeps through my voice.