Chapter Four

The movement of Nero and his companions to the Dreadfort was fraught with difficulties, as their advanced technology was not accounted for in the Frostbourne's fortress. Zack and Nero had arrived in personal aircraft that had forced them to land in the tundra outside the Dreadfort, and walk to the fortress proper. Golems had assisted in carrying the crates of bluestone to the Dreadfort, but it would still take an excruciatingly long time to finish preparations for Nero's continued assistance. It had been agreed that in return for the transfer of magic and knowledge from the Frostbourne, Nero and his companions would remain in the Dreadfort and assist the Frostbourne where needed. The Ender Watchers had already began construction on an extension of the Dreadfort to facilitate Nero's fighters, and construction on an external lab for Nero and co., as well as Amethyst and Azura. Ceris, with her newfound freedom from the burden of leading the Ender Watchers, found new work in overseeing these projects. One such project, the landing strip in the mountain under the Dreadfort, was where Patrick found himself, checking on their progress.

"Ceris," he started, "I need a progress report."

Ceris was quick to reply, looking around at the vast cavern that her Endermen had cleared out. "Cavern's fully cleared out, and we're starting to place in their requisite materials now. Concrete isn't easy to get, sire."

Patrick nodded. "I have sent out messengers to locate more consistent supplies, it would be nice to have for roads and pathways as well."

The former leader of the Ender Watcher nodded. "Cobblestone only gets you so far."

Taking that as the end of the conversation, Patrick walked off towards the war room of the Dreadfort, where Nero was to meet with the top lieutenants of the Frostbourne army. Namely, Cora, Rain, Abigail, and Patrick. As expected, the former four were already waiting when Patrick arrived, and he took his place at the table.

"Well, I suppose now we can begin," Patrick started, and the group nodded in agreement. "Nero, we have begun construction of your requisite structures. It should not be long before its completion."

Nero nodded. "We appreciate your willingness to accommodate us, General."

The General nodded. "If what Gabriel says is true, and Naeus and Sombre live on, we need all the help we can get."

"The Ender Watchers are back to our full strength, and stand fully prepared to defend the Overworld." Rain looked around the room, his injured eye glowing with an energy often only seen among the creatures of the End. "We also have tentatively secured the assistance of the Netherbane. Kane sends his regards, as he was meeting back with his own forces."

Abigail was next to speak. "The Nether stands at your side, General Patrick. All of my forces are at your disposal. General Naeus must die."

Cora addressed the group the second the Nether Queen was done speaking. "My team is out rallying up mercenaries and bandits from the surrounding area. They won't replace Daryl's bandits, but we can make do."

Patrick gave the faintest of smiles as he looked over the group of leaders. "To know we have each other's backs, it will not only give our people confidence and security, not only bolster our own armies, but will give each of us the confidence to continue fighting this seemingly eternal war. This meeting is adjourned."

As each of the leaders left the war room, they were met with a wounded, bloody guard, holding a wound in his side likely given by an arrow.

"They're here..." were the only words he said before collapsing dead on the floor of the Dreadfort.