Camp Redwood

"A little Jack might take the edge off," Ray offers as Brooke sits frightened in the backseat with Montana.

I look over the map as the music plays quietly in the front seat with Xavier and I. I look over at him and he looks back at me with his bright blonde hair and dark sunglasses on.

"I still don't really know what happened. How am I alive right now?"

"Face it: you're a badass," Montana tells her causing me to smile back at her.

"I'm not. He said he was gonna come back and kill me. The cops are gonna find him, right?"

"Totally. But in the meantime, he won't be able to find you," I look back at her with a sympathetic smile.

I sit back in my seat and Xavier reaches over, grabbing my bare thigh as I bite into another Twizzler.

"Yeah. Saylor's right. What's better than a few weeks in the wilderness to forget about everything? And get paid for it. Brooke, you're totally doing the right thing coming with us," Montana adds.

"Absolutely. It's gonna be a non-stop party. The kids, the camp. I got enough blow and weed to last us through the summer. And let's just hope we don't have to take any random drug tests," Ray jokes causing almost everyone in the van to laugh.

"No, it's not fucking funny," Chet leans towards Ray angrily.

"What? What did I say?" Ray questions.

".001. That's how much shit those wastoids say was in my bloodstream," Chet explains.

"If you haven't figured it out, Chet was disqualified from Team USA. He peed a pharmacy, so they kicked him out of the Olympics," Montana explains to Brooke.

Xavier lifts his hand from my thigh as he turns back to the gang, "Come on, you can be honest with us, we're friends."

"But I didn't do anything! I worked my ass off for that spot. I mean, look at this bod. Have you ever seen a body like this?" Chet rants he rips his shirt off to prove his point.

"You're embarrassing yourself," Ray chuckles.

"Embarrassing myself?"

"Yes."

"Yeah, what the hell have you got? Let's see," Chet challenges.

"Yeah, I'm up for a laugh," I look back at them as I adjust in my seat to see the two boys.

Montana grabs her camera as Ray stands up to rip open his shirt. I giggle quietly to myself as Montana's camera clicks.

"Well, it's like the ad says, "There's always room for Jell-O." " Chet says, smacking Ray's stomach.

"Eat my shorts," Ray sneers as he raises the tiny jar of blow in front of Chet's eyes.

"What the hell. Guess it doesn't matter what I put in my body anymore anyway," Chet mumbles, taking the jar and snorting some.

"Let's go. Let's go!" Ray chants.

I open the map and continue trying to read it as Xavier continues on the long road.

-----------------------------------------------

Xavier pulls the van off the road, next to the gas stations. I hop out of the passenger side door and stretch a little as I wait for Xavier to join me.

"Fill 'er up," he tells the gas station attendant, "Payphone?"

"Takes a quarter," the attendant says, pointing to the small payphone.