Part 2: So the adventure begins

Copyright 2015 © Rosesareforever

Let Go

Part 2: So the adventure begins

"I'm going to strangle you for convincing me that this was actually a good idea," Delilah hissed through clenched teeth as the needle relentlessly punctured her glaring red skin, the ink slowly seeping into her pores. She still couldn't quite believe that Ciara had been able to convince her to get a tattoo. They had decided she had to get something small that would remind Delilah of the new chapter in her life that she'd started. It all sounded pretty on paper, but she hadn't taken into account how much it would actually hurt to get permanently inked. Nothing she'd ever felt could compare to the stabbing pain as the tattoo artist finished the final details of the little blue bird across her hip.

At some point, much to her embarrassment, Delilah had actually felt a few tears leak out of the corner of her eye. She'd wanted to be brave and be all tough, but her façade fell quickly when she felt the first bite of the needle as it touched her sensitive skin. There was no way she'd ever get a second tattoo. She'd felt enough pain to last a lifetime.

"Don't be such a baby, Lilah. You're so touchy. It's just a tattoo."

"It's easy to say that when you're safely tucked away all way across the room. You're not the one undergoing this kind of torture!" The tattoo artist's cool and unwavering look cracked. A smile appeared as a low chuckle echoed through the room. Apparently, everyone thought it was funny that Delilah was in so much pain.

"You forget I have a tattoo that starts from my neck and ends on my lower back, babe. Believe me when I say the pain you're currently feeling is nothing compared to what I went through when they finished the piece. It took three sessions and over nine hours."

Delilah's eyes widened. "That's just crazy." It really was. Who would voluntarily undergo almost ten hours of intense pain for a simple piece of art across their body? It seemed ridiculous and not something Delilah could imagine herself doing.

At Ciara's statement, the tattoo artist looked up and gave her an appreciative smile. "Care to show me the tat after I'm done with your friend?" the guy asked, his interest spiked and clearly written all over his face.

"Sure, but only if you show me yours," Ciara flirted back, putting on her best seductive smile.

Rolling her eyes, Delilah blocked out the conversation. She honestly didn't want to know what her friend was up to. It would be no surprise if Ciara disappeared that night for a quick shag in the tattoo shop after hours. It wouldn't be the first time her friend indulged in a one-night-stand. Ciara was a strong believer of the effectiveness of random hookups. It satisfied her hunger and she didn't have to settle down, exactly what the woman wanted.

"Done," the man suddenly stated as the buzzing finally stopped. A relieved sigh escaped Delilah's lips. "Do you want a quick look at it before I cover it up? There's a mirror over there," he pointed in the right direction. Delilah slowly sat up and slid off the chair, her movements a little stiff as she made her way over to the mirror.

A small smile played at her lips as she eyed the tiny blue bird across her left hip bone, the bright color standing out against her pale skin. It was beautiful. A lump formed in her throat as she kept her gaze focused on the reflection. She hadn't thought she'd actually want a tattoo, but in that moment she knew she'd made the right decision. She loved it, she really did. It was exactly what she needed.

"It's perfect," Ciara mumbled, standing next to Delilah as they both watched the tattoo in the mirror. "It suits you. It really does." Delilah couldn't agree more. She'd never had the urge to get some ink across her skin, but it turned out that it was exactly what she needed. Blinking away the wetness that had gathered in her eyes, she turned to look at Ciara and gave her friend a thankful smile. Unknowingly, Ciara had given her the most beautiful gift she'd received in years.