Chapter One: Its A Long Walk To Freedom

T•H•A•T S•U•M•M•E•R A•W•A•Y
That Summer Away- Chapter One: It's A Long Walk To Freedom
*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|

The clouds were crying, as if their hearts were broken. The skies were screaming to rid its pain and agony. The sky and the crowd were trying to solve their differences by sending electric messages back and forth. So, the rain was falling, the thunder was crashing and lightning was striking. I didn't fancy days like these when I was growing up, (I suppose I still am), but now it serves as a permanent reminder of the day everything went bad, wrong, catastrophic, disastrous, tragic and devastating.

*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|

My father was a reputed lawyer, so it became a habit to dine at lavish restaurants just for the sake of it. Today, was the second day after my mother's death anniversary and there was a lot of tension in the air, even though my brother, father and I rarely conversed there was a tight atmosphere around. I watched a couple in the corner of the restaurant, the lady kept glancing down at her lap and blushing crimson, the man had a small smile on his face and live in his eyes his attention was captured by the lady. They looked happy, in love. The man stared at her as if she was equivalent to thousands of diamonds while the lady stared at him with admiration, like he was her hero. At sixteen years old, I'd never had a boyfriend or fell in love. It was almost as if I had no feelings. Truth is I'd never felt a connection with anyone, lately.

My father suddenly cleared his throat, "I have something to say."

My brother and I train our eyes on him and eagerly wait to here what he has to say, "Karalyssa," he says my full name, there's a small warning bell going off in my head indicating that this isn't good, "I think it's time you've got a little more exposure to cultural, athletic and social activities."

I nod my head, "I'll participate in clubs in the upcoming school year," I say in a low tone.

"Speak up," he commands.

"I'll particle in clubs in the upcoming school year," I repeat.

He nods his head with a look of approval, "That's not exactly what I had in mind, I was thinking of summer camp."

I was confounded by this statement, I had never attended a summer camp let alone been away from home for extended periods of time. I should've seen this coming, my dad was traveling to South Africa to invest in a platinum mine and my brother to London to view colleges. They couldn't possible leave me alone but they let me have no say in the matter.

Without thinking I blurt out, "What?"
*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|*~*|

The camp was two and a half months long, leaving me with only a day to get ready. That meant buying the essentials I needed and constantly checking the camp website. The camp was located in the middle of nowhere but had a modern design, with stereotypical wooden cabins and various activities it didn't seem like like a bad place, but I'd decide that when I got there. I packed a reasonable size suitcase with necessities and a few extras. We had to use the camp bus to get there and I wasn't too excited to be stuffed in a bus with people I didn't now let alone never even met.

My father and brother didn't bother to even say goodbye the next morning before the driver dropped me off at the location of the bus. There were a lot of teens standing there, they looked fashionable wearing the latest prints and accessories. I felt out of place in my skinny jeans, converse shoes and oversized t-shirt. I wouldn't think to dress up to go on a summer camp but they did look a lot more presentable than me. I stuck out from the crowd all the girls and boys seemed to have formed into groups. One group stood out in particular, there were three boys, tall, dark and mysterious. They were attractive and alluring, they had an intriguing aura to them that drew you closer. To complete their group was a girl, this girl was drop dead gorgeous she had long hair, golden brown with shades of darker brown as it reached her roots, emerald eyes, petite figure and soft pink lips. She wore a black t-short with a white floral deign starting at her waist and trailing around her body, with a black mini skirt and tights she complimented the mysterious style of the group.