c h a p t e r 1 6 ~ dance blues

"Jess, you're my number one."

"I'll meet up with you in a bit, okay?" I asked Ricky. "Okay, see you soon." He said. We heard Flynn from the dance floor, "Do we have any bobcats in the house?" Everyone started to cheer. "Everyone make some noise!" Flynn yells as people cheered louder. "Okay, okay, okay. Not too much noise. There's an anger management meeting down the hall."

Julie and I made our way up to the stage and Flynn motioned for us to meet her at the side. "How are you two feeling?" She asked us. "I'm a little nervous." Julie told her. "I'm psyched to perform but nervous for my date with Reggie." I told Flynn. "You guys will be fine. All your gears backstage come on!" Julie and I nodded as we made our way backstage.

"Oh my gosh! You two look amazing!" Flynn exclaimed. "Thanks." I chuckled. "Thanks! It's my mom's. I finally went through her stuff. And I want to again with you Jess." She looked at me. I smiled, "That would be nice." "She would've loved that you wore that. Are the guys here?" Flynn asked.

"No, but they will be. That know how important this is to us." Julie told Flynn. "Yeah, and Reggie wouldn't just stand me up." I told Flynn. She nodded. "Okay well I'm gonna go find Ricky." I told them as I walked out to find him.

When I found him we hung out and danced for a while. We couldn't stop laughing as we tried to slow dance together but it was just too awkward. "Hey is Reggie here yet?" Ricky asked. "No but he will be." I told Ricky. "Oh it's almost time for me to go on. I'll see you later." I said. "See you later Jess good luck!" Ricky called after me.

I got backstage and heard Flynn announcing us, "Is everybody fired up for the Molinas and the phantoms?" Everyone started cheering, Flynn continued, "Great keep that fire cause that's later. We're a bit behind schedule but don't worry. Just enjoy these mind-blowing beats." Flynn turned up the music and walked backstage to come talk to us.

"The Molinas and the phantoms?" Julie asked. "When did you come up with that?" I asked. "I had some free time in french class. And you'd better like it because I registered it on insta, snapchat, twitter..." Flynn was telling us but Julie cut her off. "No, we love it." I nodded my head, "Yeah it's amazing. But we'd love it even more if the actual phantoms were here."

Flynn pointed as nick started walking over. Julie looked at me with begging eyes to stay so I did but I kept my mouth shut.

"Nick! look, Flynn, Jess... it's Nick." Julie said. Nick chuckled, "Thanks for the introduction." "So you made it." Julie said. "Wouldn't miss it. Truth is I can't wait to see you guys play again. Your song has been stuck in my head for weeks." Nick told her.

Oh my gosh! Julie has two guys that like her! I thought.

Julie let out a laugh, "Well, someone should let it out." Nick gave her a weird look. "I don't know what that meant either." She told him. He laughed, "I like your shoes." She smiled, "Thanks. I just like to doodle on them sometimes." They were looking into each other's eyes when Carrie came back.

"I can't tell if the crowd is getting restless or bored. Never a good sign. Oh, hi Julie! Got a new bag?" Carrie asked as she motioned to the fake hologram projector Julie had made.

"Actually, it's our hologram projector. Just did a little upgrade." Julie told her. "Oh, so simple. you know. I was expecting something a little more.... sophisticated." Carrie said. "It's what's on the inside that counts." Julie said. Carrie laughed, "Yeah, that's what a lot of people have to tell themselves. Come on Nick." Carrie and Nick left and I don't think they noticed me.

Julie and I checked her phone and it was 9:15. We turned around and waited for the boys to show up. The next thing we knew it was 11:00 and still no sign of the boys. Flynn came over to talk to us again.

"I can only stall for so long. It's 11:00. I think you guys should just play by yourselves. I mean, holograms or no holograms you'll be amazing." Flynn told us. "You saw me the other day. I can't play without them. They'll be here. They have to." Julie told her. Flynn left again to go DJ.

Then we heard nick, "Issues?" He asked "Always." Julie told him. Then we heard Ricky, "What's wrong?" Ricky asked. "The machine won't work and Reggie stood me up." I told him. Ricky pulled me into a hug and played with my hair. Then I saw Nick and he claimed to have fixed the machine. He ran out onto the stage to announce us.

I stayed backstage with Ricky and I started to cry as he just sat there with me. "Why would he just stand me up? Am I really that bad?" I asked Ricky. "No Jess. You're amazing and he's an idiot for that." Ricky told me. Then Flynn and Julie came backstage.

"Everyone left to go to a party at Carrie's. We're gonna go pop the balloons." Flynn told us. "Okay. I'm coming." I said as I got up. Ricky wrapped an arm around me, "I'm coming too."

After a while of sitting there popping the balloons and explaining to Ricky that the guys were ghosts and how everything worked. We started talking again, "I can never show my face at this school again." Julie said. Flynn sighed, "That's what we get for depending on boys. Except you Ricky you're a good guy." "Thanks?" He questioned.

I was still crying and it was like midnight. Julie sighed, "I don't know if I should be mad or worried. They're ghosts. We don't know what kind of trouble they can get into." Julie said. "Imma get us some ice cream from the cafeteria. Fools gave me the keys. We can crash at my place and forget about this whole nightmare." Flynn told us.

"I'll go with you." Ricky said giving me a quick squeeze. They got up and left, "Get me two of everything." Julie called out. Just then the boys ran in.

"Julie we are ready to rock this dance.... which is clearly over." Reggie said, Luke looked at her, "Look we are so.... so sorry that we bailed on you." Alex nodded "The night just really got away from us." "And the twins...." Reggie added. I rolled my eyes and started crying even more. Reggie looked over and shut his mouth.

"Just please tell me it had nothing to do with getting back at Carrie's dad." She said as they all tried to deny it obviously lying. "Seriously your lying to me?" She said, "Okay look it was something that we really needed to do." Alex said, Luke took a step forward, "But we'll do whatever it takes we'll play the next school-"

Julie cut him off, "What another dance where you can bail on me and make me look like a fool? Save it. You know what really sucks? Our songs were good. And you three knew what I've been through and how tough it's been for me to play, and then you go and do this? Bands don't do that to each other. Friends don't do that to each other. This was a mistake."

Luke looked at her, "You mean the school dance right?" "No I mean joining a band with you guys." She ran out with Luke calling after her.

The boys turned and looked at me. "I'm not mad at you two. I get it was something you needed to do." I told Alex and Luke.

Reggie looked at me with sad eyes, "Jess? You're mad at me?" He asked. "Well I mean what happened with the twins?" I asked. He sighed, "Jess.... come on......" I cut him off.

"No. What color hair did they have? How old were they?" "Jess... that's not important." Reggie said. "Then just answer the question." I demanded. He sighed, "Fine. They were blond and I don't know older probably."

I rolled my eyes, "What did you guys do? Why did you choose them over me? And what does forever really mean to you?" I asked annoyed. "Jess, you are my number one. And forever means always. Anyway, all we did was dance." He told me.

"Oh. So you told me you'd go with me to this dance and then you went to dance with someone else? That doesn't seem like I'm your number one. I know you don't like to fight so it's easy we don't have to fight." I told him.

He looked at me confused, "Are you forgiving me?" He asked. "No, Reggie, I'm not, I'm breaking up with you." I told him and I could feel the tears starting to pick up. I turned around and ran.

I ran out of the gym as I heard Reggie calling out to me.