Epilogue

Two in the morning was what her clock showed.

What sort of moron would knock someone's door at such an odd hour. What a futile pass time, going around banging people's doors instead of sleeping.

She usually slept only in knickers and bra. She liked her body, the skin, the pores to be more ventilated and open. But, since a sadist was at her door and Nero was already barking, she forced herself into putting on her robe.

"Nero, stop barking," she told him, and he obeyed.

She opened the door, her vision still blurred from the sleep she'd been enjoying not more than two minutes ago.

"What the fuck do you want at two in the morning?" she asked him, rubbing her eyes to get him into focus.

He walked in, realizing that she hadn't recognized him. She'd carelessly tied her robe loosely, making whatever she wore inside—or didn't—completely visible to the whole world. Infuriating. He closed the main door shut, pulled at her belt, adjusted the robe properly over her shoulders and waist and secured it in place tightly.

He pushed against her wall, leaning down to kiss her out of sleep. As expected, at the contact, her eyes went wide from shock.

He pulled away when he felt her resist under his steady grip. "Hey."

"Jesus Christ! Have you lost your mind? Two in the morning? Is that a time for arriving at someone's doorstep? Dammit!"

"Come for your birthday. Which is right now, so happy birthday," he yelled with full force.

"You," she yawned. "remembered?"

"Of course. You thought I'd forget?"

"Yeah." He looked at her dubiously. "No, I mean, I've told you the date only once, that too in some random convo so I thought you must have skipped it."

"I heard it just fine. And, there's Ron's wedding. He invited me through you, remember?

"Yes, I do. If I'm not wrong, does that mean you're staying here for almost a month?

"It means exactly that."

"Jesus! This is the best gift ever." She hopped up on his waist and kissed him.

Nero sighed. Now, he thought, he wouldn't get Taylor's undivided love and attention. He would have to share it with this random stranger. But, never mind. He'd do it for her, because she seemed happy around that... guy.

She crouched down and stroked Nero. "Mi dispiace, non avevo idea che stesse arrivando. Perdonami?" He barked. "Grazie mille. Okay. So, Nero he's my boyfriend, okay? He's family. Make friends with him, yeah? Play with him, torture him. Feel free to do whatever you do to me with him. Got it?" He wagged his tail. "Bravo ragazzo," she stroked the fur behind his ear. "Now, Nero, what do we do to greet someone?"

Nero sauntered over to Aron, offered his paw, which Aron shook, impressed. "Hi, I'm Aron."

Nero leaped high to lick his cheek. And, then the whole face.

"He likes you," she said, scratching the top of Nero's head.

Nero quickly moved his attention to Taylor and looked at her with hope in his eyes. Which also showed a bit of disappointment.

"Oh, yes. I forgot to introduce you, didn't I? Aron, he's Nero. He's my baby, okay?" She pouted at him. "Lo amo molto. Much more than I love you, do you get that?" she said to Aron. Listening to what she'd said, Nero happily wagged his tail, even harder. "So, you need to be extremely good to him. Otherwise it's me and you. No one goes against my baby."