15. Jemmy James is coming hooooomeeee

if you couldn't tell already I love the cottagecore aesthetic so much please i wanna live in a tiny cottage in the woods and become a witch

Being at that diner felt nice. Being able to help someone felt nice. To know that maybe he could be part of something really important felt nice. What didn't feel nice was thinking about what would happen if the case were to get big. His father was an important figure in the south. Of course, he'd find out about it someday. That wouldn't be good. Thomas wanted this to go far. He wanted to change too. He knew the southern, conservative, public figure, Peter Jefferson, wouldn't allow the case to make a change in this country. He had lots of other conservative friends to help him. Thomas barely had any friends.

He shook his head. Alexander was going to make it far with this. Thomas knew this. Peter Jefferson sure as hell wasn't going to stop him.

James: You have work today too, right?

Thomas: Yes

Thomas: Why?

James: Perfect. We can talk during lunch break then

Thomas: Ok

He was happy to get through his normal routine that morning. Things were getting a bit better. He was cleaning himself up and his suit was ironed. The meeting with Washington was good, nothing to note on. The first half of his day was great.

Thomas made his way into James' office.

"Hiya, Jemmy."

James looked up with a smile.

"Thomas."

"You wanted to talk to me?"

"Yeah," James said. "We've barely talked to each other for a month! C'mon, let's go get lunch."

"Alright."

They walked away from the office building and into a small cafe. The interior was covered in pretty vines and little plants. Tons and tons of mason jars held flowers and moss gardens. The shiny crystals scattering the countertops drew them in.

James ordered a coffee and a bagel while Thomas got a smoothie and a croissant. The two sat down at a smooth, wooden table with the smell of fresh pastries and ground coffee filling their noses.

"Don't try lying to me because I can tell when you're lying, Thomas," James said.

Thomas looked away from the counter to face his friend. "Lying? Why would I be lying, Jemmy?"

"I don't know, Thomas," James said, staring at the other man. He chuckled, looking away. "Anyway, how are you?"

"I'm okay," Thomas said, messing with the cuffs of his sleeves. "You?"

"I'm good. Dolly's coming home in a few weeks and we might go down to see extended family later this summer."

"That's..."

"Going to be boring, I know. But Dolly's family is nice." James paused. "How 'bout you? Any summer plans?"

Thomas hummed. "No, not really."

"Coffee and bagel for James and a strawberry banana smoothie with a croissant for Thomas," A voice spoke over the intercom.

"That's us." James got up, Thomas following shortly behind.

They picked up their food and sat back down at the table.

James sipped the hot beverage. "So, like I said before, I know when you're lying."

"Yep, you did say that."

"So why did you leave me on radio silence for three weeks?"

James saw the taller man freeze. There it was. He didn't actually know if Thomas had been lying, it was just a hunch. Thomas just proved him right. And a second later, he relaxed. Covered up. Like it never happened.