Chapter 1

notes:

hi!! this fic is largely inspired by a random thought i had on a sunday evening. none of this would have been possible without my lovely friend Kittmitton (who i share this account with) because she is genuinely *so* good at coming up with ideas and encouraging me to keep writing.

this is the first time i've written for any of these characters, so i hope you like it. :) -jivanni

(p.s. — check us out on ao3! @/jivanni and @/kitmit. the story goes by the same title over there)

———

The first time Kyouka Jirou sees Momo Yaoyorozu's name — well, since high school, at least — is the week before her daughter's school starts.

And... thank god for durable phone cases, because when she saw that name, she almost dropped everything in her hands (which would not have been good, because she would've destroyed the entire three info packets mailed out from the school.)

Everything before that moment was fine.

She had opened the envelope — the address label said To the Parent/Guardian of Shiori Jirou — and she had read through each packet folded inside. And then she went on her phone to look at all of her daughter's classes, and then she saw it.

English 6. Yaoyorozu, Momo.

That's when the papers almost slip out of her hands. That's the moment she was grateful for her phone case.

God. Fuck.

She knows that the school district has a website. She knows that there's a page listing all the staff at the middle school, and she knows that there's pages for the elementary and high schools, too. She kept telling herself that she was going to check it, because she did want to see who all the teachers were... but she never did.

She doesn't know why she's having such an odd reaction right now.

She knows Momo from high school, and from high school only. High school was a long time ago. Years ago. Years and years and years ago. They barely even knew each other.

A—oh, there's another name she recognizes.

Social 6. Kaminari, Denki.

Kyouka knows Denki from high school, too. They weren't best friends or anything special like that, but they were some kind of friends — the kind of friends that try to keep in touch after senior year. She also knows that he took a gap year and then went to college somewhere. And, yeah, he has mentioned it to her before, but regardless, she did not ever think that he was a teacher kind of person. She still doesn't.

There's two more names she doesn't recognize. She feels like she's heard them somewhere before (probably from the other parents) but she's not sure.

Science 6. Iida, Tenya.

English 6. Midoriya, Izuku.

Those are nice names, Kyouka thinks.

There's two more names listed:

Art 6. Ashido, Mina.

Phy Ed 6. Kendo, Itsuka.

She could text Denki and ask about all of Shiori's teachers. It would just be to get an idea of how they teach and things like that... but, no, she won't ask him. That would feel weird. That would be weird.