Prologue

"Clark!" Domina screeches while falling into the pool of water. Her best friend pushed off of a rope swing and straight into the lake. She spits out water as she resurfaces. Clark thinks that it is hilarious to see his prissy friend soaked. Maybe that is why he lets his guard down for a moment. That moment was long enough for Domina to leap out of the water and wrap her arms around his waist. She plunges into the water with him. They splash each other to no end. Daniella, Domina's older sister, comes and tells them to calm down a bit. She was trying to sunbathe. Daniella is six years older than Clark and Domina. As soon as Daniella turned 13 she decided to leave the 'children' alone in their 'childish games'. Domina and Clark don't care though. It only made them closer.

"Hey 'Mina?"

"Yeah Clark?"

"Do you wanna scare the fangs off of your sister?" Domina giggles at him. She always thought it was so cute that a future alpha picked up some Vampire slang.

"Uh, do wolves have Mates?" Clark cocks his head to the side and looks at her.

"What do you mean? Yeah, wolves have Mates. You should know that." Domina slaps her hand to her face.

"I mean yes, Clark. The answer to that question was yes." He smiles huge and follows him. Domina swims after Clark until they get to their island. His brown hair bobs up and down in the water until they get there. It takes a while to swim out there, so they usually take a boat. That was the whole point. They weren't taking the boat this time. Daniella was in charge of them for the day. When she went looking for them, she wouldn't find them. They would come back after a while to a very frazzled Daniella, and a victory. At least, that is what their 7-year-old minds think.

Once on the shore, they wander around the island. "Hey 'Mina?"

"What?"

"I have been thinking about the whole wolves having Mates thingy. I know that Vampires have something similar, but what is it?"

"We have Bonded. It is someone that we have a strong connection. Unlike Werewolves, we don't have just one. It gives us options I guess. I have never understood it. We don't really have to worry about it though until we are older, so why are you asking?"

"What if, what if you aren't my Mate?" Domina thinks about this for a moment. She had never thought about that. She and Clark always planned on being together because it always made sense. They had grown up with each other. They were neighbors in the summer.

"I guess you could reject your Mate? I mean if you want to that is." Domina looks down at the ground and digs her foot in the ground a little bit.

"Domina, if that is what it takes for us to be together, then I will. I love you. You are my bestest friend in the whole wide world. I can't imagine living life without you." Clark wraps his arms around her and they stay like that for a while. They are only seven years old. They don't know what they are talking about.