Part 5 | The right home

Come to think of it, Blaine has never really had a home. His parents' house, where he spent his childhood, wasn't exactly the warmest place on Earth. It was rather cold and lonely, because his parents were barely ever there. That house certainly doesn't feel like a place he would always go back to, looking for comfort, which is what he imagines a home should feel like.

The dormroom where he lived during his college years doesn't meet that description either. It was a little square where he did make some memories, but still, he always knew it was temporary. It lasted the four years he studied at NYU, and that's it. Whereas a home is supposed to be forever.

His current apartment isn't so bad. He likes it, he feels comfortable within those walls, and if it wasn't for Sebastian, he would probably keep living there for a few more years. He's grown to love it, actually, but it's time to move on. To find the home that he's always been longing for.

The next time Blaine sees Sebastian after the last apartment visit, he tells his boyfriend about the place that Kurt showed him. Sebastian listens to Blaine's descriptions carefully, opening his eyes widely when Blaine mentions that Kurt bothered to furnish the apartment for him, and when Blaine is finished with his explanation, Sebastian looks a bit annoyed.

"You know what, Blaine?" he says, sitting straight on the couch. "I don't think the real estate agent is doing his job. I mean, it's been a month since we started looking for an apartment, and it seems he cares more about showing off his interior designing skills than finding us a nice place. I'd like to see what his house looks like. I bet the decoration isn't even good."

"Kurt did find nice apartment options for us," Blaine argues. "It's my fault that I didn't like any of those enough to actually want to live there."

"Or maybe his personal taste is affecting the search. Like, he furnishes this whole apartment to show you how great he is at interior design, hoping that you hire him when you have to furnish your future house. Well, we don't need him for that. We hired him to find us an apartment, not to decorate our living room."

"Sebastian, you're really wrong here. That's not Kurt's intention at all. He's doing his best to..."

"Why are you defending him?" Sebastian interrupts. "Aren't you the one who's eager to move in together? You should be pressuring him to work harder, and better. Just tell him to concentrate on finding a place, and to leave the rest to us. And if he can't do that, I'm done with trusting his judgment. We'll find another real estate agent."

"You're gonna fire Kurt?" Blaine asks, incredulously. "And what would be your judgment to do that? You haven't seen the apartments, you don't really know what he has shown me. But I'm telling you he has been doing a good job so far."

Sebastian puts his hand on his chin, which always means he's thinking about something. "Yeah, you're right. There's nothing I know about his job except from what you've told me. I can't judge him without really knowing what I'm talking about. So I guess I'll have to see it for myself."

"What do you mean? You're gonna come to the next appointment?"

"No. You're gonna tell the real estate agent that I want to see his house. I think it's the best way to see what I'm up against. I don't know why I didn't think about this before. I mean, why would you trust someone to find you a house, when you don't know where or how this person lives?"

"You can't be serious," Blaine says, because Sebastian has clearly lost his mind.

"Oh, I'm serious. I want to see this guy's place, so I can judge his standards properly. If I can't do that, I'm gonna fire him anyway. It's my money we're talking about here. My budget is not going to be wasted."