Chapter 54: The Matching Puzzle Piece

The question took you by surprise.

You chuckled stiffly. "You're joking."

"Just answer me," Jungkook demanded, and it made you gulp.

Did he mean it? What was going on? But even if it was a joke, or a serious confession, there was only one answer to you.

"I guess I'll have to reject you, because I've always thought of you as my brother," you replied hesitantly but truthfully.

Jungkook felt a sting in his heart, but he decided to ignore it—that wasn't why he was here.

"You see?" He pressed. "You know the answer. You can reject me with your clear words, but you didn't do that with hyung. Why? Because you know what you want, y/n."

"Jungkook, please-"

"Is it because you have to go somewhere far? Is it because you are from the future?" he snapped, and you swallowed.

Of course he heard everything. What could you possibly say to that? A cold sweat ran down your back.

"I don't have a clue on what's going on. And for all it's worth, I don't care. But this I know for sure," he breathed. "Hyung likes you."

And that needled your heart.

"I don't know what's holding you back, y/n," his eyes were now glistening in what looked like pain and frustration. "But you're hurting him."

Were you?

You recalled how he looked right before you ran off. Then you recalled that day at the bath, where he looked like he'd be shattered with a blow of wind. That time you wished you could say something, anything, to make him feel better. And maybe you did. Maybe you succeeded. You hoped you did. Were you the one breaking him now? It sounded just so egotistical to think you were the reason for Kim Taehyung, the Third Prince's heartbreak—but you didn't want to be the reason for his ache, even for an inch.

"Please don't hurt him," Jungkook pleaded, with all desperation.

You felt another crack in your heart.

It's ironic you were the reason for your own.

Taehyung looked as beautiful as ever under the moonlight, in the most fragile way. You saw him once at this exact place, mourning over Seokjin, and how you wished to ease his pain. You'd do anything for that. But now?

He noticed you standing at the threshold in silence.

"I thought you wouldn't come," he said softly.

You will regret this.

You heard the voice somewhere at the back of your mind.

You probably would. And the pain you'd feel eventually was easily imaginable. Because you knew what was coming, and maybe you were being selfish because he didn't know.

You take a seat next to him on the handrail as usual, but you hesitated to take his hand. He didn't initiate either, only silently watching you. He placed his hand on his thigh, his palm up, and you clearly got the message and it was all up to you. So you took it, slowly, trembling a little.

"Would you tell me who you are?" Taehyung asked softly, and there was not a hint of urge in his voice.

You stayed silent, unable to nod or shake your head.

After a moment of silence, he posed. "Then answer me this simple question," he cupped your cheek with the other hand, making you look up, and your eyes met his.

"Was I ever the reason for your smile?

Was I ever a part of your dream?

Has your heart ever once beat for me?"

You needn't look up in the sky because his eyes held the universe, constellations drawn in affection, fondness, and probably love, and you felt like drowning in them.

"Because you have been the reason for my everything."

He was.

He is.

The reason for your smile.

The reason for your sweet dreams.

The reason for your beating heart.

The reason for your hope.

The reason to survive through everything.

"You are," you breathed, almost inaudible with a waft of wind carrying it away, but he must have heard it, as he gripped your hand tighter and gave you the most soft, fond, warm smile that made your heart swell and burst into millions of galaxies.

Taehyung was probably clueless about you.

He didn't know where you came from, he didn't know what kind of life you had before they met, he didn't know why you were keeping secrets, he didn't know if you were even supposed to exist right now.

But there were also a couple of things he knew; he knew how your lips curled up relishing on the taste of jeonggwa, he knew you diligently took care of the seed he gave you carefully listening to his advice, he knew you were caring and genuine, he knew you were selfless, he knew you were the one who brought him light he thought he'd never see.

Now he was learning that you weren't afraid of a boat ride, instead beaming at the forests dressed in red as you floated down the mountain river. It was autumn, when the trees adorned their hue of blush and rowing a boat in the bosom as such, was a sight to see.

Yet Taehyung found himself staring at you more than his surroundings. He couldn't help when he had those sparkling eyes and the innocent smile right in front of his eyes. And he thought he wouldn't mind at all, if this river never ended.

Maybe it was also in the way he was guaranteed to hold your hand, and that you won't run away. Reaching the end of the trail, he lent you his hand to get you off the boat. You took it easily, careful of the unstable rocky boat, hopping on the pier, almost in his chest. It was probably imaginary, as they were in autumn, but the scent of plums wafted from Taehyung, and that small detail made your heart beat faster.

Even after the justification of 'helping you off the boat' was gone, he didn't leave your hand. Instead he laced it and secured his hold, you felt relieved, because you didn't want his hand to leave. The two of you walked down the path leading to the palace, now under the canopy of autumn leaves. It was a much needed small escape from the suffocating air brewing heavily above that place.

He abruptly raised the laced hands up, his eyes locked on your hand. You felt jittery.

"Is there something wrong with my hand?"

"No, it's just...," he studied it further. "It looks small."

"It's not small," you huffed at his criticism. "It's just that yours are big."

Then Taehyung gave you a soft giggle, which squeezed your heart with warmth.

"If you say so," he rubbed your thumb gently with his own, a gesture so intimately fond. "In any case, I love how it perfectly fits in mine."

You did too.

You loved how your hand conformed his as if it was a matching puzzle piece. You loved how secure you could feel in his hold. You loved the littlest warmth you could feel through his palm.

You loved every detail of him, to the point of no return.

A/N:

OMG FINALLY!

Lol, sorry for making you suffer, but I hope this was worth the itch and wait! 

But y'all know we say; the calm before the storm...