Chapter 2

Kimmie got to school just immediately after the assembly bell rang. She missed the bus so had to run halfway through to school.The teachers were already positioned at the gate ready to punish the latecomers. Students dressed smartly in the school's uniform were seen lining up in rows, the school band were practicing gingerly in their corner. Assembly normally took place at the open space.The facility was built in such a way that it assumed the U-shape, which was perfectly normal for a standard school. A storey at the left another in the middle and a two storey at the right decorated by the hibiscus rosa sinesis all round, a popular flower commonly used to adorn schools and houses. It's building painted in 2 shades of the color blue,a dark shade and a lighter one. The school's building was a beauty standing tall amongst others in its environ.

Valerie was already on queue when Kimmie joined almost out of breath.

"Just in the nick of time"..val said

"Had to finish breaky and then run all the way down here since you decided to go without me today"...Kim said through heavy and steady breaths with both hands on her waist

"Yeah my bad, I left the house really early jare...I'm sorry K"

They both liked to call each other by the first letter of their names, sounded cute to them.

" It's okay V and by the way got to finish my food assuming you came around, you would have been hauling my ass out the door...so it's kind of a good thing.."

" breaky.? What's a breaky kim.?" asked a very confused val her brain registering the strange word she just heard

" don't tell me you don't know, I say breaky like all the time V.?" Kim said rolling her eyes

"OMG Kim..you mean breakfast right.?
Wow it does mean breakfast!!,you really are a certified foodie..no wonder you were starting to get a little angry " val said clearly amused forgive me your royal highness I am clearly out of it today

"Yeah I know right" kim replied sarcastically.

Just then Miss Elise a young slender lady with diastema (a visible gap between the upper incisors),mounted the podium to conduct the assembly,cause assemblies were normally conducted by the teachers on duty for that week.

After the prayers were said,the national and school anthem were recited, inspection began. The teachers began moving in between the lines checking for nails,socks,for girls the right hairstyle,for the boys the right haircut and tailored uniforms. Soon perpetuators were fished out and punished by kneeling till the assembly was over.

The principal, an average woman whose glasses nearly touched her philtrum Mrs Duke popularly called the seer by the students took over from Miss Elise as she was next to address the students.

'' well good morning students as you all know it's a new week and also the week that precedes the test week. I'd like to mostly remind you of the forth coming mid term tests which is fast approaching. The time table would be released before the end of the day.As you students know this is a means for us to assess your level of preparedness and readiness for the end of term exams. I implore all of you to intensify your readings....."

                     ***
When the assembly was over they all marched to their respective classes line by line on a single straight file.

Settling in, they still had a few minutes before their first class.

Jayden came over to talk to valerie cause they were in different classes. He was a science student and she an arts student, she's always had a flair for theatrics.

Jayden, Valerie's chum chum since forever the whole school knew it er minus the teachers

'You've been ignoring me?' Jayden voiced out as soon as he was directly in front of Valerie's desk.