Chapter 5: Weaknesses - December 28

Her mystery man's three gifts had stirred something new in April's soul. The earrings had brought her a sense of joy that she hadn't experienced in a long time. The sand dollar had released upon her a calming knowledge that she was no longer alone. And the snow globe had made her crave adventure. Reminding her that wonder did still exist in her world. If only she was willing to search for it.

So, after enjoying the little flurries that dome housed, she set her new treasure down on her desk and went to grab her coat and purse before venturing out into the chill air of late December. That miniscule manor had made her crave a good book. She was off to find a classic. Something set in the English countryside. Hopefully, in summer. Under a bright sun. When the air smelled of wildflowers.

But on her way to the bookstore – one that featured books in English – she passed her favorite, little coffeehouse. The one that had welcomed her on a lonely Christmas Day. How could she breeze blithely by the one spot of cheer that she'd experienced on that sad morning?

She pushed the door open, ignoring the little bell that jingled above her head. She stepped into line behind a tall man with midnight hair. She stood admiring the strong lines of his shoulders and the way his hair clung lovingly to his head. The elegant cut of his suit didn't avoid her perusal either. Even from the back, the man was incredibly handsome.

But a gasp escaped her mouth when he turned towards her a moment later and her eyes landed on his sculpted face. Leonardo da Vinci would have been jealous of the God who had created this masterpiece. Her eyes slid across his bold forehead before slipping down the steep slope of his nose. Absolute perfection. Even the freckle on the tip of that nose was flawless. And it lent him an air of vulnerability. An indication that he wasn't impervious to the rays of the cheerful sun.

But it was his lips that drew her notice a moment later. They appeared carved of marble. So did the adorable divot beneath his nose. Fashioned so perfectly that she was almost certain it would be cold to the touch. Like the statues standing in the Louvre in Paris. Suddenly, those gorgeous lips curved into a smile, and she suffered another inward shock.

Her eyes flew upward to meet his deep, dark chocolate orbs. And she knew this wasn't the first time she'd gazed upon this face. That sensitive mouth had smiled at her on Christmas morning. Right before she'd headed back to her dorm room. Alone.

"Hello," a deep, rich voice suddenly flowed from those lovely lips before wrapping around her with its mesmerizing tone.

Stupefied, she simply stared at him. Her tongue seemed to have suddenly become very lazy. She couldn't seem to get it to lift even one simple word. So she flipped the corners of her lips upward and bobbed her head at him. Like some sort of imbecile.

Embarrassed, she felt her cheeks growing warm.

Great! I'm probably as red as a cherry now too.

She cast her eyes to the ground. Reluctantly leaving those chocolate depths to study the toes of his shiny, black shoes instead.

"Sir," an irritated voice spun him around.

"Yes?" he queried.

"Your order?" the barista asked in a piqued tone.

"Mmm. I'll have two cinnamon rolls, a vanilla shake, and whatever this lovely lady wants to drink."

April glanced up in surprise at the hand gesturing towards her. Her eyes grew wide. "You aren't referring to me, are you?"

He glanced around at the empty space about him. "Who else would I be referring to?" He stared at her blankly.

She swallowed. "Look, that's awfully nice of you, but you don't have to buy my drink."

"I know I don't. But I want to buy your drink. You're going to need something to wash down the cinnamon roll I just ordered you."

Her eyebrows flew up to challenge the sign hanging over their heads. "You just ordered me a cinnamon roll?"

He nodded. "You didn't think I was going to eat two, did you?" he queried a little incredulously. Like she would have given a thought to the breakfast order of this handsome stranger.

"Oh, my. How did you know that cinnamon rolls are my weakness?" she asked suddenly.

He grinned at her and gestured at the tiny backpack slung over her shoulder. She looked down at the cinnamon roll keychain dangling from the pull of her zipper. And she giggled.

And it felt good.

Freeing, even.

His eyes lit up as he watched her laugh. She was quite simply...stunning. Not in a conventional sense, maybe. But there was definitely something captivating about her....

He knew what it was. It was those gorgeous eyes of hers. Ocean eyes. Eyes that communicated the depths of the sea. He just knew that there were treasures hidden within those aquamarine depths. Just like the ocean hid the best parts of itself. For only the dedicated to find.

He wanted to take a dip there. In the midst of her eyes. And fathom the riches of her heart. And of her laughter.

"Won't you spend a little time with me?" he whispered gruffly suddenly. "So I can get to know you over a cinnamon roll...and a cup of hot chocolate?"

She glanced sharply up into his eyes. As hers narrowed. "How did you know that I like hot chocolate?"

He shrugged. "I heard you order it the other day."

Her eyes widened. "You remember that?"

He raised his chin as his eyes held hers steady. Then he let that sculpted chin fall a few inches.

She simply stared at him.

"Miss?" the impatient barista prompted her. "Can I get you a hot chocolate then?"

April's eyes flew to meet those of the testy server. Reluctantly, she bobbed her head. She sighed and glanced back at the kind gentleman as he pulled out his credit card to pay. But before he could hand it to the barista, April slapped her credit card down on the counter.

"My treat," she snapped as her eyes challenged his.

His eyebrows assaulted the heavens. "You're going to buy my breakfast?" he queried in astonishment.

Did she know who he was?

He shook his head. If she had known, then she would – most likely – have taken advantage of his good fortune and allowed him to buy her goodies for her instead.

"Absolutely," she responded. "Someone has been spoiling me for several days. It's my turn to pay it forward. You get to be today's recipient." She flashed him a brilliant grin that left him feeling shell-shocked for a few moments.

She turned away from him to receive her credit card from the barista before picking up his drink and handing it to him. "For you, sir."

Then she grabbed her hot chocolate before retrieving the tray of cinnamon rolls and turning to head for a table in the far corner. Out of the way.

Almost as if she could read his mind.