Chapter 11: Missing in Action - December 29

But as April entered her apartment a few minutes later, she glanced at the tin of Christmas cookies and recalled all the time a stranger had spent working in a kitchen to make her happy. And she realized such a personality would not stand her up. So now she was worried. Had something bad happened to the kind man? Had an accident befallen him?

Perhaps he'd just gotten caught up in a meeting, and the time had passed more quickly than he'd anticipated. She truly hoped he was all right. She had no way of finding him. He could come to her, but she could not go to him. Now she was sorry that she hadn't asked to exchange phone numbers yesterday.

She didn't want to fret the day away, so she forced herself to don her coat and head for the bookstore. Perhaps she could find another English novel to enjoy. To distract herself from her concern over a stranger.

––

"Jungkook, what are you doing?" Jimin asked later that evening.

The younger man stared down at the box in his hand. "Preparing something for tomorrow morning."

Jimin frowned. "What?"

Tears filled Jungkook's eyes. "Tae bought this for that girl. The one he made the cookies for. He's prepared several days of blessing for her. He even wrote all the notes already. He showed it all to me yesterday. I know that if he were here, he would want them delivered to her. He wouldn't want her to miss a single day. So, I'm going to take care of this for him."

"He's all right, Jungkook. I know he is. He probably just hit his head and is suffering from a slight bout of amnesia. He'll be home soon." But a tremor flooded Jimin's voice. He cleared his throat. "What can I do to help?" He had to distract himself from worry.

But, truthfully, how could he not be worried about his oldest and best friend? Where was Tae? He had promised to return by ten this morning. But he had never shown up. Not even in time for practice.

Jimin glanced at his phone again. As though reading the time would return Tae to him sooner.

It was a quarter to six already. He hadn't heard from Tae in nearly twelve hours.

Where was he?