Chapter Five

How many tragic love tales open with a hey, a hedious smiley that you enjoy for its hedious perculiarity, and end with the object of said story disappearing on you? Welcome to my life. Exactly a year ago, I turned on my computer to a hey in my inbox.

    “Heyyyyyy, boy. Had fun today?” followed by a hedious smiley.

    “I did, thanks. Who's this?”

    I took a look at his profile and it was blank, except for his profile picture; a picture of birds linking their gloved wings in some compact gesture, somewhat like men holding hands to pray, and his name, Jack. I figured the account was fairly new. I actually considered that it could have been a catfish account.

    His bio read: Things I love, [shift] Palm wine [shift] Prints in briefs [shift] Sexy pics of the above [shift] Boys!!!

    College: The School of Hard Knocks

    Hobbies: Sulking when high (accompanied by yellow button-hole emojis to express the sulking bit)

    JACK: I'm someone who got your number from a friend. My Twitter is synced with my contact list so here we are.

    ME: Their name?

    JACK: If I told you their name, then you'd know who I am.

    ME: What do you think was the point of that question?

    JACK: LOL. You're as sarcastic as you are in real life.

    ME: I really don't talk to strangers. So, unless you're about to introduce yourself, this conversation is going nowhere.

    JACK: Please don't block me. I'm totally not creepy.

    ME: Getting a whole different vibe rn.

    JACK: We aren't strangers, though. Met you a couple of times at school. But I guess you can't call it met if it's one-sided? We have a few friends in common, and that's how I got your number in the first place.

    ME: And the more reason why you should tell me your name. You've just got to be someone else . . . I don't know any real-life Jacks.

    JACK: Wait. I'm texting you exactly because I can't talk to you in person without stuttering like an idiot. I tried, trust me when I say it. Triedddddddd, really.

    ME: Then be brave, Mr or Ms. Stutterer.

    JACK: Wish I could with this, man.

    ME: If you're looking to be my friend, then you can. Cos none of my friends are pussyfooters or will let stuttering make them that.

    JACK: That's Mr. Stutterer to you.

    ME: [Wave emoji]

    Eka was first on the list of people I suspected could be that Jack's friend. Unrelenting Eka and her many matchmaker ambushings— excusing herself in the middle of a visitation so she may retrieve something too useful to be out of reach and leaving me in the company of a lollipop-loving girl, forwarding blind date contacts to me, and once she'd sent Joy virtual flowers in my name (Joy's comment on it wasn't romantic)— because she worries I might be a virgin or perhaps that I see someone unsuitable behind her back. But the suspicion fell apart at the idea that she would match me up with a boy.

    I ignored all messages from him after our initial conversation, and a couple of days later, he sent an email asking me to talk to him, because in his words, “it's important for your brother.”

    In my email...

    ME: Mr. S, boy enough to tell me who you are yet?

    JACK: I spent a minute on that thinking you were calling me a Mrs. LOL.