Chapter 15: The Parting of the Ways

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or Lucifer. They belong to J.K. Rowling and Fox and now Netflix.

"Are you sure I should be here for this?" Draco asked Harry as they stood in front of the imposing oak door. He fiddled with his jacket sleeves and rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet.

Harry fought the urge to roll his eyes. "Like I told you the last twenty times you asked, you were on the case. You need to be part of this report." He rapped sharply on the door and waited.

"Come in," a voice called through the door. Harry took a deep breath and pushed the door open.

Graves sat behind the large wood desk at the other end of the posh office. He gestured to the two burgundy chairs on the other side of the desk. "Take a seat please, gentlemen." The two of them wordlessly sat down and waited for Graves to speak.

"Congratulations on closing this case." He looked up from a paper he had been reading. "Your efforts have saved this department a great deal of trouble."

Harry raised an eyebrow. "Thank you, but I would have thought we caused you more trouble, seeing as Carol Fischer was a member of your department." He leaned back in his chair which was strangely comfortable.

Graves pursed his lips. "And she will be handled accordingly, Mr. Potter." He fixed his sharp gaze on Draco. "As for you, Mr. Malfoy, I have to ask. How long exactly are you planning on working with the LAPD?"

"I'm certainly not planning on leaving anytime soon."

"I'm sorry, but I would like to get back to the matter at hand," Harry said. "What exactly is going to happen with this case? Even if Lawrence and Carol are prosecuted, the underlying problem that caused the murders will remain."

Graves narrowed his eyes. "What exactly are you trying to say, Mr. Potter?"

"I'm saying that this department devotes too much of its time and resources on no-maj prejudice. It's no wonder these murders happened. The culture of this department encourages it."

"You don't know what you're talking about."

"I don't? Then why did one of your employees take it upon herself to murder no-maj borns that leagally challenged the status quo." Harry paused, trying to calm down. "At least tell me that Carol and Lawrence will be charged."

"Of course they will be," Graves said. "Now, if you're quite finished with your idealism, I just need you to sign this before the both of you go." He held out two identical forms and two matching fountain pens appeared on the edge of the desk in front of Draco and Harry.

Draco took the form and glanced down at it. "What is this?"

"It's an agreement that you will not reveal any details of this case to any civilians beyond what has been released by MACUSA," Graves said. "It's meant to minimize any copycat crimes or sympathy for the perpetrator."

"More like save your own arses," Draco muttered. He didn't want to sign, but something told him he didn't really have a choice. He scrawled his name on the line and shoved the form back at Graves. Harry did the same.

Graves ignored Draco's comment. "One last thing, my understanding is that two no-majs were present when the arrest was made. Did you take care of the obliviation or does the department need to handle that?"

"It's been taken care of," Harry said. He stood up abruptly. "If you'll excuse us, I need to get back to Britain to report to my superiors." Graves nodded, and Draco and Harry strode out of the room.

The two of them walked down the hall outside of Graves' office in silence for a few moments, both deep in thought. Finally Draco decided to speak. "Thank you for not being a stickler about the obliviation." It killed him to say it, but it had to be said.