[2]

//Clay POV//

His veins surge with need. His head pounds with pain. What is this... he thinks to himself.

He drinks more blood when he gets home from school. It helps a little with the headache, but not the heartache. What's wrong with me?

He lays on his bed with a cold pack on his head to ease some of the pain. It may be less painful, but the unstoppable desire sticks. How do I get rid of this....

It consumes him for another 10 minutes before he decides to test out one of his theories.

The theory, being: George eases the pain.

George picks up the call, and Clay can already feel himself ease.

"Hey," George says, straining a little bit. Clay notices even over the call.

"Are you okay?" Clay asks, his own voice straining a little.

"Yeah, yeah. My uh- stomach hurts a little bit, too. I don't know why."

Clay raises an eyebrow at that. He goes silent for a moment, thinking the situation over. It wouldn't spread to George, because he's not a vamp-

"Dream?" George asks. "You there?"

"Oh, yeah, yeah, sorry. I was thinking for a moment."

George starts some conversation and Clay gladly participates. The feeling slowly starts to feel better. Though the feeling never goes away, or even falters for a moment, the pain that comes with it slowly diminishes as their conversation induces.

They talk back and forth for a while, and Clay starts to feel good again. The feeling is higher in his heart now, beating happily now. It flows a lot easier when he's talking to George. The feeling starts to heal rather than hurt when they are talking.

The latest conversation starts to die and they both fall into a comfortable silence.

"Dream?"

"Yes?"

"I forgot to ask. What did you really call me about in the first place?"

Clay draws in a breath sharply. I could lie. It would be easy enough. Just make it about homework or something.

"I was in pain," slips out of his mouth instead. He continues, "Talking to you eases it. I don't know why." He wasn't lying.

"Oh. I mean, I'm flattered but... that's odd..."

"It is. But it helps, I swear."

George laughs a little bit. "Sure, weirdo." He pauses for a moment. "Wait, sorry Dream, I have to go finish things. I forgot. I'll talk to you later?"

A stab pierces through Clay. He manages to say, "Okay. Bye." And he hangs up. His breathing becomes fast.

What are you doing to me, George?