| one |

floating through life - september, 1977

"And then- and then he pushed me down the stairs-"

"He pushed you down the stairs?" Pauline interrupted, holding a transparent hand out disbelief.

The two were sat in the dungeons, the lanterns above them swaying peacefully. There was a moss-stained bench made of deep grey stone sitting under an archway, a small window just below the ceiling gave a murky, distorted display of the Black Lake, subtle light dancing around them. This time of day, just before sundown, was quite peaceful in the dungeons. Most of the students were feasting on potatoes, roast, or plenty of the scrumptious desserts displayed on the house tables, and the halls were left to ghosts, and the seldom who decided to keep them company.

Thirty-four years prior, in a hallway excruciatingly similar to this one, Pauline had passed away.

"He did!" blubbered the little first year boy, wiping his dripping nose on his robe sleeve. "Down the moving stairs! And then after he pushed me- after the- after he pushed me- he and his friends just laughed at me-"

"They laughed at you?" Pauline interrupted, anger swirling in her gut as she envisioned the scene he described. 

"They laughed! I had to go see Madam Pomfrey because my elbow got busted on the railing! See? Look at it!" The Slytherin pushed his arm so close to Pauline's thin face, that the tip of his elbow went through her nose. His eyes widened and he immediately pulled his arm back, shivering as a chill ran down his spine.

"Er, s-sorry Pauline." He said, scratching his blond head.

"It's quite alright, Richard. Just remember to value other's personal space. You've been doing way better about that since we first talked." Pauline smiled, she didn't feel her skin stretch.

Richard's lips perked up slightly, his eyebrows still quirked with worry.

Pauline tilted her head to the side playfully. "Besides, it's not like I could feel it, kid. My body's in sort of a limbo right now, so no worries." she drummed her fingers on the corner of the bench, feeling no pressure on her hands.

Richard wiped his nose on his sleeve yet again.

"Alright Richard, I'm here to dish out advice so that's what I'll do for you," she pulled a curl out of her eyes. "Those boys are trouble. And either you stand up to them, express how you feel, or you find some new friends."

Richard's eyes filled with tears, and he ducked his head down.

"What about that made you sad, Rich? You have to use your words so I can help."

The young boy took a deep breath and blew it out, puffing up his already chubby cheeks. His voice wobbled when he spoke, "I'm scared that they'll make fun of me if I- if I say they hurt my feelings. Arnold says that crying's for girls and-"

"Bullshit-!" Pauline slapped a hand over her mouth.

"Sorry, Richard. What I meant by that is, crying is for everyone. Not just girls," she stood up, turned, and crouched down so she was eye level with Rich. "It's normal. It's so normal to cry when you're feeling emotions strongly, and there's nothing odd about it."

Pauline stretched out her arms grunting. "Now, you don't have to confront them, because I know for a fact that there are kids just like you in this school who need more gentle friends, so you should seek them out. They can even be from a different house! Find a nice Hufflepuff you like, maybe a Gryffindor like me!"

Pauline squinted and sighed, "Blimey, I'm making it sound like a shopping spree aren't I?" Richard didn't reply, seemingly deep in thought.

"My point is," Pauline sat back down in her little corner of the bench, "there are so many other kids in this castle that would be lucky to be friends with you. You just have to find them- or, who knows! Maybe they'll find you." She smiled, wishing desperately that she could take his hand, or pat his back, or punch his arm. She couldn't.