Answers on a Train

Where do you get your inspiration from? I'm having writers block:

Writing is my job. There is no inspiration. It's just butt in chair hands on keyboard!  If you're stuck, go back and read what you've written. See if you took a wrong turn. Also, try pen and paper instead of a keyboard and computer for a change of pace. Listen to your instincts and your characters. They're usually right. Another trick I use is to ask, “At the point, what’s the worst possible thing that could happen?”  That usually sparks some ideas.

 What usually inspires you to write? And also, what made you become a writer? Any advice to anyone who wants to start writing, specifically the teenage readers out there?

What inspires me? See the previous answer. :D

How I got started? My husband dared me.

My advice? Read, read, read and write, write, write! I think I said this last week, but writing is like any other learned skill—PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

 I have a question, for my stories, I know how I want to begin and I know how I want to end it, I just cant figure out how to fill in the middle to make my story long enough to be counted as a chapter novel. How do you think I should proceed? And im struggling with making the writing worth reading, making it in depth, sometimes I forget to add observations and feelings and extra things to make the scene feel longer, how do you do it?

 I highly recommend you check out Deb Dixon's Goals, Motivation and Conflict. Also check out The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler. Both books are great for learning about plotting – which is what you're talking/asking about. I will say this: EVERY scene in your story should push the plot forward in some way, whether it advances the external conflict or causes character growth or both.

 As for how to make it worth reading? That's what second, third and even fourth drafts are for. Try to remember to include a few of the five senses. Remember, your MC isn't just a participant moving through the story, but an observer who also sets the tone and pace. And remember, this isn't brain surgery. You don't have to get it perfect the first time!

EXAMPLE: If your MC is walking into a restaurant, what's the first thing they see and/or smell--the food, the hostess, or the person they're meeting? How do they feel about what they're doing and/or who they're meeting? Are they nervous/anxious/angry? And then…think about how YOU feel when you're nervous/anxious/angry. Do your hands sweat? Do you shake? These are examples of things you can look for and think about to flesh out your story.

The play and script writer David Mamet has a great technique.  In every scene, ask: What does the MC want?  What happens if he doesn’t get it?  And why NOW?  The last question ads critical urgency.

Do you have any tips on writing in 3rd person? And how to keep the story consistent in 3rd person?

Who are your Main Characters (MC's)? Pick a point of view and stay in it rather than writing from everyone's POV (Point of View)—it dilutes your story.

Which person(s) own the story? Who has the most at stake? These are the POV's you need to use. This will help give you consistency. If you're writing a romance, it's usually going to be your hero and heroine's POV.

TIPS: Use action verbs. She RAN (instead of she was running).
Try to limit the use of adverbs (words that end in –ly).
Passive verbs, like was running, and adverbs tend to slow your pacing.
That's not to say you'll never need or use them, but usually there's a better way. Watch out for redundancies like "she ran quickly" – if she's running, quickly is a given.

Never use several words when one works. And again, make sure EVERY scene in your story pushes your plot forward.

 Do you make lots of changes between your first, second and third draft? What are the major things you look for when you make your revisions? Thank you!

Oh yes! Editing is where I flesh out things like character traits and scene setting, I make sure I haven't dropped any story threads and verify/clarify anything that needs researching. Then it goes to my editor and agent and THEN I edit for the fourth time, keeping their feedback in mind.

I am an active reader and have a question about character development. What is a good way to describe a character's appearance?

Ideally, the writer will try to make it a part of the story rather than just catalog or list of what the character looks like and/or what they're wearing. I'll give you an example from THE ALIBI:

She didn't have the soft, settled body of a woman who had borne two or three offspring, either.  Her figure was compact and athletic.  She had good -- no great -- legs that were muscled, sleek and tan, shown off by a short skirt and low-heeled sandals.  Her sleeveless top had a scooped neck, like a tank top, and a matching cardigan which had been knotted loosely around her neck before she had removed it.  The outfit was smart and chic, a cut above what most of this shorts-and-sneakers crowd was wearing. 

     Her handbag, which she'd placed on the table, was big enough only for a key ring, a tissue, and possibly a lipstick, but nowhere near large enough for a young mother whose purse was packed with bottled water and Handi-wipes and natural snacks and enough equipment to survive days in the wilderness should an emergency situation arise.

     Hammond had an analytical mind.  Deductive reasoning was his forte.  So he concluded, with what he felt was a fair degree of accuracy, that it was unlikely this woman was a mom. 

**You learn almost as much about Hammond as you do the lady he's watching (Dr. Alex Ladd).

When you have a thought how do you keep it from disappearing?

Write it down!

Thank you again for your questions. Keep them coming! We'll be back next week with more....