Chapter Three: Is This Happiness?

April 2012

Whatever, he thought to himself in the coming days, I don't need anyone. Friends are just a distraction anyway.

He poured himself into his work, staying late into the night, often sleeping all night on the floor in the practice room and starting again as soon as he woke, early in the morning. He spent hours practicing his voice lessons, practicing dance...

That day he stared at himself in the mirror, hating his round face, hating his glasses, hating how short he was. I think I am the shortest trainee, he thought as he looked around the room...

"Jimin-shi!" He jumped as his name rang out across the practice room.

"Ahem...yes?" He called back timidly, not sure who had called him.

"Jimin-shi!" Hoseok's bright face was looking at him from the other side of the room. "Jimin-shi, can you come here please?"

Jimin jumped to his feet and padded across the floor. There they all were, the 6 Bangtan Boys who didn't want him...

"Jimin-ah, we are debuting 'Glam' in a few weeks and we need 4 backup dancers. So far we have myself, Yoongi, and Jungkook, the production team is requesting you to try with us as our 4th."

Jimin nodded silently. Of course they just needed him for back up dancing, the one thing he was decent enough to do in the background of an actual Idol.

But, he had to admit he enjoyed how his days looked different. He spent more days than not with the 6 Bangtan Boys as he practiced the back-up dance with the 3 other dancers. And slowly, he started to relax. He realized that even though Jin was the oldest that he was very silly and playful. Slowly it dawned on Jimin that he exceeded Jin's skill level...in dancing, sure, but also in singing. If only he were as handsome!

More and more he thought to himself that maybe, just maybe, his singing didn't suck. The last few times he tried song bits from Big Hit he had looked up to see either Yoongi or Namjoon looking at him, deep in thought, or Hoseok giving him a big smile and a thumbs up.

At lunchtime he ate with Hoseok or Yoongi, even slowly forgiving Tae for not being honest with him. Sometimes he even ate with the little kid who somehow was good at everything. More and more he felt like, is this what it feels like to have friends? And sometimes even, in that hidden part of himself, Is this what it feels like to be happy?

But how could he ever be truly happy when his best friends didn't actually want him in their group?