10. Blagbarrow

Like the old and worn pages of a book, Yeosang's world was crumbling.

It had faded around the edges for years, wavering and trembling with doubt. Not even once his beliefs had found solid forms, whether they were his own or the ones that were taught to him.

However, ever since Seonghwa's disappearance followed by his return, rips that travelled from those worn corners towards the core of Yeosang's mind had formed. They deepened with every new revelation about Seonghwa, the palace, and now, Jongho. The man that Yeosang knew was hiding a lot, but he wouldn't have expected this sudden turn.

The rips were pushing his borders. They had him hesitate, had him doubt and cast suspicions about everything he had ever known. As much as he desperately tried to shove them away, it seemed as if the horrendous truth that he didn't want to acknowledge loomed right behind him and only waited for him to turn. Its icy fingers tickled the hair on the back of his neck already and had him freeze in fear.

Yeosang didn't want to gaze upon its grotesque features. He wanted to deny for however long possible. But Mingi and his keen mind had uncovered his insecure stance in the eye of the storm.

The fear of being swept away and losing himself in that raging storm overwhelmed Yeosang.

He kept his head low and eyes cast downward as he entered the little village at San's side. As expected, fewer houses held themselves in the gorge and stretched the dwindling legs made of wood that kept them in their web between the walls. The few people that milled around eyed the newcomers warily, but some of them seemed to recognise San, too. They didn't seem pleased with his appearance.

Without an ounce of fear, San approached one particularly grumpy looking man. His warm arm around Yeosang's supplied the librarian with comfort and security.

"Lead me to your mayor," San asked not particularly polite but at least in a friendly tone. He was rewarded with a withering glare.

"What do you want here? You know that the likes of you are not welcome here." Gruffly, the man snarled at them and looked the strangers up and down. His distaste was palpable in the tense air.

"I am well aware of that. But my business concerns only the mayor and me. Now if you would please either point us to him or mind the grease?"

San's eyes were sharp like those of a fox and penetrating to the core. If he had looked at Yeosang like that he would have cowered in fear.

The man, however, just snorted at them. He nodded his chin at one of the huts and stomped away to gossip about their arrival.

With malicious eyes stuck to them as if the group was glazed with delicious honey, they halted in front of the mayor's hut. After he made sure that everyone was there, San rose his hand to knock on the door.

Even at the first pull on the entrance, the person behind was guarded. They had no way of knowing who it was that dawned upon them. Yeosang assumed that similar to Zey, Blagbarrow also couldn't trust their own people.

The man who opened the door for them seemed to be the same age as San's father also was. Compared to Qam's mayor, this person had tired eyes and lips pursed into a constant thin line. Even when he gazed upon the troop, his features didn't display a hint of joy. Rather, he narrowed his eyes at them even more.

"Choi. What do you want here?"

San gave him a charming smile, but it held frostiness. Uncomfortable, Yeosang shifted his weigh so he wouldn't lean on the other man too much.

"We came to trade information and ask for a place to stay for the night. As morning dawns, we will be out of your hair."

The mayor's suspicious eyes travelled over the other three. Yeosang tried not to stand out too much. While Mingi and Jongho might as well be from Qam or get recognised as people from Zey, Yeosang stuck out like a sore thumb. As if the word 'eastsider' was written on his forehead, he ducked into San's side.