er, surprise?

GET WITH U BY CLAIRO

"Okay, okay, I really have to go now."

Braeden pouted, and I wriggled out of his arms and pulled on a t shirt.

"Noooo, stayyyyy." Braeden whined, dragging out the words.

"I wish I could, but I'd promised Lydia I'd meet her in..." I checked my phone, "-five minutes! And if I don't show up, she'll get suspicious."

Braeden nodded.

"True, true." He said.

"Okay, I'll see you later." I leant forward and pressed a quick kiss to his lips.

"Can't wait." Braeden shot me an innocent grin, and I felt my heart flutter.

-

The coffee shop hummed with noise, and I leant back in my chair, listening to the snippets of chattered conversation. A couple sat at the table next to mine and Lydia's, laughing together. A part of me wanted that, but I knew that if Braeden and I told everyone about us, it would make everything a lot harder.

"Uh, hello? Y/N?" Lydia interrupted my wandering thoughts, waving her hand in front of my face. "Are you okay? You totally just zoned out."

"Yeah, sorry." I smiled apologetically. "What were you talking about?"

"No, don't worry, it's fine. Just talking about The Regrettes."

"Iced coffee for Y/N and english tea for Lydia?" The barista called expectantly.

"I'll get it."

I stood up, the chair scraping horrifically against the floor. Lydia winced and laughed, shaking her head.

"Yes, Lydia and Y/N?" The barista asked once I made it up to the counter.

I nodded, and he passed me the drinks.

"So are you Lydia or Y/N?" He asked, brushing his dark fringe out of his eyes.

"Y/N."

"Oh." I said bluntly, taken aback. "No offence or anything, but, uh, I'm not really feeling it, ya know?" I inwardly cursed myself.

Luke nodded, looking down sadly.

"No, yeah, don't worry about it, it's fine."

"Well, uh, thanks for the drinks." I said awkwardly.

Lydia stared at me as I sat back down in my seat.

"Dude!"

"What?" I shrugged nonchalantly as I slid her cup of tea across the table to her.

"Dude!" She said again. "You just turned down that totally cute guy who was totally into you! That's what!"

"Oh. He's just not my type!"

"Bullshit!" She cried. "Dark hair is literally your weakness! He was super into you, and, as I may have mentioned before, totally cute!"

"Yeah, well, you know..." I trailed off, desperately searching for an excuse.

A sly grin spread across Lydia's face.

"Who is he?"

"Wha-?" I spluttered. "He? There's no he!"

Lydia tilted her head, giving me a I'm-not-stupid face.

"Y/N, I know you better than that. I repeat, who is this mystery guy you're seeing?"

"I, um," I frantically tried to think up a mystery man. "I work with him, he's super shy, so you'll probably never meet him." I glanced at my watch, talking very quickly, "My, is that the time? I really should be going!"

I stood up but Lydia grabbed my wrist.

"Seriously Y/N, who is he? Why are you being so suspicious?" She frowned at me.

I smiled faintly.

"I just really like him and I don't want to mess it up."

-

I unlocked the front door of Braeden's apartment with the spare key he had given me, and set my bag and coat down.

"Y/N?"

I followed the sound of Braeden's voice and found him sitting on one of the stools at the kitchen island.

"Hey." He said, pecking my lips at I sat down next to him. "How's Lydia?"

"She's good. She, uh, may have found out that I'm seeing someone but she doesn't know it's you. It wasn't my fault though!"

Braeden nodded, his brow furrowed.

"So who's fault is it then?" He asked.

"The cute bartender that hit on me." I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest.

"He hit on you?" Braeden frowned further, and I nodded. "Well what did you do?"

"Don't worry, I told him I 'wasn't feeling it', but Lydia wouldn't leave me alone about the fact I turned a cute guy who was totally my type! And she just sort of figured it out from there."

Braeden nodded again, and neither of us spoke for a while.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, Dylan's coming over soon."

I rested my head on the table, closing my eyes. It had been a long week.

"You okay?" Braeden asleep quietly, softly tracing patterns on my arm. I hummed in response.

"Just tired."

I lifted my head and gave him a soft smile. He leant forward and placed a kiss on the tip of my nose. He continued to kiss me all over my face, and I squirmed as his slight beard brushed across my cheeks, laughing.

"Stop! It tickles!"

Braeden wrapped his arms around me, grinning like a fool. I tilted my head up and kissed him, pressing myself further against him.

"What the fuck!"

Braeden and I jumped guiltily apart. Dylan stood in the doorway, his mouth hanging open.

"Er, surprise?"