Chapter 1: The Forbidden Fruit

The smell of dirt and must odored the air, clogging her senses as she ran faster. Running wasn't something that was new to her. People followed her everywhere ever since she could remember. Her thoughts silenced as she rolled behind a dumpster and waiting until she heard them continue running. She let out a breath and stood slowly and raced out of the alleyway. It was dark outside and her eyes glowed with pure hatred under the street lights. She had no light left inside of her, no love, just hatred and the will to fight. Footsteps alerted her to hide and she did, sneaking up against a building listening intensely. "I need to find her!" A voice boomed from behind a car and she vaguely remembered this person. She had traces of his features in her face. His raven black hair dominated her scalp and she touched the hair that was quite dirty. My dad? She thought. Her mother's friend had sworn up and down the walls he was a dead beat, a man of no remorse. He'd kill someone in a heart beat without hesitation and that's just the aurora he gave off. His crinkles by his eyes and the way his face was visibly red, his hair smoothed down by hair gel. He wasn't a bad looking person but he was a man with a bad temper. Even she could tell that after 5 words form the man. "Mr. Walter," someone was breathing heavily, lugging a gun back onto his shoulder. "It wasn't our fault she basically flew out of the way!" He opened his mouth to say something else but was cut short when the man drew a gun and pulled the trigger, the only warning given was the loud echo through the desolate town. The man slumped onto the sidewalk with a nasty splash from landing in his own blood, thick and red. "Anyone else care to talk back?!" His voice snapped all the gaping men and women to attention and they all shook their heads. The girl long since ran. The gun in itself wouldn't have been a problem but she knew man killed. He was the one who helped her Aunt in the time of her death. The one who pulled the plug and held her hand while doing so. Meridian Sanders. She didn't care, he betrayed her. She stopped, running fingers through her dust ridden hair and closed her eyes for a split second before words echoed through the city of rubble and destruction. "Find Emerson Carlo! Dead or alive!"