feelings are fatal

onigiri supplier [10:14]: We've been fake datin for like a month now. And as much as I love ya comin to Onigiri Miya like usual, I think it's about time I take ya out on a proper date. Dontcha think?

fukurodani setter [10:17]: If you'd like, Myaa-sam.

onigiri supplier [10:21]: Try to sound a little more excited, Kaashi-kun! If we don't at least go on a couple dates, we're not gonna fool anyone. Plus, dontcha wanna show me off?

fukurodani setter [10:32]: (⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄)

onigiri supplier [10:34]: I'm going to take that as a yes. Unless it's a no? How's Saturday?

fukurodani setter [10:45]: It works for me.

-🍙-

Osamu picked a high-end tonkatsu restaurant for Keiji to meet him at in the heart of Tokyo equidistant from their apartments. It was well-known for having a variety of quality pork choices from around the country to choose from and came highly recommended by other chefs in the industry -- Osamu had been dying to try it. He'd have no better tonkatsu in Japan, they said.

He waited anxiously out front of the unassuming building, a renovated home-turned-restaurant with a crescent moon window. The door was shielded by a white curtain emblazoned with the word tonkatsu in katakana. Osamu bounced back-and-forth on the balls of his feet, wondering if he had dressed appropriately for a fake date. Clean cut, but not too fancy -- dressy casual -- boot cut jeans with a white button-up where he had rolled up his sleeves. He topped the outfit off with leather shoes. The leather shoes were too much, right? Especially for Spring.

Before he could spiral further into something that couldn't be changed, not now anyway, Keiji rounded the corner in a grey linen suit jacket on top of a white t-shirt and blue chinos with suede boots. The perfect dressy casual to match his date.

Osamu let out a sigh, but the tension in his chest only seemed to tighten more. He waved as Keiji tipped his head. "Ya look nice," he said as Keiji approached.

"Thank you. You too."

"Shall we?" He pulled the curtain out of the way and opened the door, following his date into the restaurant.

Once seated, an awkward silence enveloped them. Conversation had never been a problem between them at the restaurant. It flowed naturally, but now in this setting -- a date -- it was as if a barrier had been erected between the two of them. Keiji played with his fingers, staring down at the table. Osamu took a sip of his water and stared at the various pork-themed art (cute and folksy pig figurines adorning the side of their booth), then an idea struck him.

"Hey, let's play a game. The question game." He appeared eager. He couldn't have this night go poorly. It might ruin their friendship.

Keiji looked up at him, making eye contact. "The question game?" He quirked an eyebrow.

"Yeah, one of us asks a question and we both have to answer it. It'll help us get to know each other a bit better. Better than we already know each other, I mean. I'll start with somethin' easy. What's yer favorite color?"

"My actual favorite color growing up was red. I've always liked deep burgundy. I think it brings out my eyes best. You?"

"Silver."

"How obvious. It explains the hair in high school." He half-smiled.

"As soon as I picked it, 'Tsumu said he had to have gold cuz it's better than silver. Prick. And that's how he got his hair. I grew out of it after high school. But he never did." He shrugged. "Your turn."