i just want to be the one you love

Osamu was nearly finished closing up his restaurant when Keiji entered holding a brown paper bag. His presence filled Osamu with a sense of calm. This was one of the only times he hadn't spent his birthday with Atsumu or completely avoided the family and been alone. This day was unique, maybe even special.

"Happy Birthday," Keiji held up the bag, shaking it back and forth.

"Oh, ya didn't hafta bring me anythin'! Just seein' ya's a treat," Osamu smiled from behind the counter as he finished wiping it down.

"It's nothing to write home about. Just a cupcake." Keiji pulled out a frosted chocolate little cake from the bag.

"Ya brought me a cupcake? That's sweet, Keiji."

Sheepishly, Keiji replied with a blush, "I made it for you."

Osamu's eyes grew large and his mouth opened. He hustled from behind the bar until he was standing in front of the man with the cupcake presented. "You made me a cupcake?" From the man who didn't cook, this was a gesture. Osamu placed his palm on his forehead. "Can I eat it?" He eyed the homemade buttercream frosting swirled around the top of the little cake that glinted under the lights of his shop.

"Save it for after dinner." Keiji's chin jutted out, clearly proud to have elicited such a reaction.

"Not a chance."

And before Keiji could stop him, Osamu snatched the dessert. Keiji had made it for him after all. He put in the effort for him. He spent time learning a recipe for him. He spent time thinking about him. He did something he was normally averse to and terrible at but persevered... for him.

Keiji watched in trepidation as Osamu stripped the cupcake down and ate it in a couple of bites. It wasn't half bad, which with his rose-colored glasses of love meant Osamu relished every bit. "Keiji, this is so good ." His face melted with each morsel as he let out little noises of contentment.

Keiji's face softened. "Really? I'm glad."

"Thank you." Osamu hugged him, taking in jasmine, coffee, and a new sugary cocoa scent likely from the baking. It was comforting and intoxicating, but at the same time, it made him feel a little bit sad. He knew that he was getting a little too attached to the man. He had begun to treat him as more than friends, but not quite boyfriends. Because... they weren't. Not really.

Osamu only had about a month left before the wedding. Once they reached that milestone, they said they would drop this charade, break up. That said, it wasn't like their 'break up' meant they would never talk again, right? Right? He didn't want to think about it.

Keiji pulled away from their embrace, "Are you ready for dinner?"

"I've gotta lock up and then I'm ready. Are ya makin' it for me too?" Osamu smirked, knowing Keiji would never.

"Of course not. I'm not about to ruin your day. Plus, the cupcake took me long enough. I've got a reservation for us."

"I woulda eaten whatever ya gave me -- it woulda ruined nothin'. One of these days, I'll teach ya how to cook proper though if ya want," Osamu looked down and away, wondering when 'one of these days' would be.

"Sure." Keiji licked his lips. "Let's go. We're going to be late."

On the way out, Keiji slipped his hand into Osamu's.

-🍙-

onigiri supplier [17:17]: I haven't seen ya at the restaurant lately. Everything OK?