Madi

"Are we there yet?" Lexa complained, resting her chin on my shoulder.

"Not for another day." I grinned. "We'll stop here for the night." I brought the horse to a halt and I slid to the ground. Lexa landed literally in my arms, tilting her face up so her lips were millimetres from mine.

She smiled as I bent down down, pressing my lips to hers. I felt her hand on mine, her fingers tracing the gold ring there. Her own ring clicked against mine, and I grinned against her lips. We had been married only a few weeks, but it had been the best few weeks of my life.

"I love you." Lexa sang happily.

"I love you too." I laughed at the happiness in her voice and Lexa smiled, leaning forward to kiss the tip of my nose.

"I'll get some wood for a fire." She reluctantly let go of me and stepped away. I watched as she disappeared into the trees and then I turned to the small clearing we had found.

Suddenly, I heard a noise off to my left. I tilted my head towards the sound, unsure if I was just hearing things that weren't there. It came again, the high pitched wail of a small child. I hurried into the trees, trying to follow the sound.

"Hello?" I called. The sound stopped mid cry, and then came again. I pushed through some bushes and stopped short at the sight.

A girl, maybe four of five years old, sat against a tree, hugging her knees to her chest, crying loudly. She looked up when she saw me, and her hands scrabbled in the dirt, trying to move back.

"Hey, hey it's okay." I held out my hands. "I'm not going to hurt you." The girl didn't look reassured. She shook her head at me, and waved her hands. It looked like she was telling me to run. "What's wrong?" I asked, more cautiously now. 

"Run." She whispered in a high voice. "Trap."

Her words had barely made it out of her mouth before I heard a rustling noise behind me. I turned, drawing my sword to face the six warriors that had appeared. They all smiled cruelly at me, and three rushed forward.

I sliced my sword through the air and one man fell to the ground, his neck cut open in a long red line that poured blood onto the ground. Another man quickly replaced him, and I stabbed my sword deep into his stomach, killing him within seconds.

"Clarke?" I recognised Lexa's voice, calling out to me.

"Lexa!" I called back. She must have heard the urgency in my voice because she appeared between two trees, her own sword drawn. Taking only seconds to process what she was seeing, Lexa joined the fight.

"I really don't have time for this." She grunted as she literally decapitated a man. "This was supposed to be a violence free honeymoon."

"You're Heda, what did you expect?" I called back, taking on a man with an axe. He dodged my sword before swinging the axe around, aiming for my stomach. I ducked low, and the weapon swung over my head. Quickly - while the man was unbalanced - I swept him off his feet and stabbed my sword into his chest.

Lexa had killed another and was battling the last one. I stepped up and ran my sword through his back, killing him instantly. He dropped to the ground and Lexa looked up at me.

"Now that." She grinned. "Was unnecessary. I have to say though Clarke," She paused, stepping closer and resting her hand under my chin. "you're quite the fighter."

"You're not so bad yourself." I giggled. Lexa tiled her face up but we both remembered the child sitting metres away at the same time. We broke apart and I turned towards her. She trembled, her eyes locked on the sword in my hand.

"It's okay." I told her, throwing my sword away. "I'm not going to hurt you." The child looked at Lexa, who dropped her sword.

"Why did they attack us?" Lexa asked delicately.

"Nia sent us." The child sniffed. "She wants you and your partner dead, so she can take the throne."

"Did she threaten you?" I asked, noticing how scared she seemed. The girl nodded.

"She killed my mom and dad when I was a baby." She sobbed. "I have to do whatever she says."

"Not anymore." I said. "You don't ever have to see her again." The girl looked up at me, her eyes wide and hopeful.

"Promise?" She whispered, her small hands clasping together.

"I promise." I nodded. She smiled, tears escaping her eyes. I was surprised when she moved forward and threw her arms around my neck, but hugged her back gently. Lexa stepped up and rested her hand on my shoulder.

"Clarke?" She whispered in my ear. I could barely hear her, so I knew the girl couldn't. "I know we only just got married, but how do you feel about..."

"Yes." I answered immediately, knowing what she was going to say. A dazzling smiled lit up Lexa's face and the girl pulled back.

"What are you talking about?" She asked. Lexa nodded to me and I took a deep breath, turning to look at her.

"I know you don't have a home anymore." I started nervously. "So, how would you feel about to live with us?"

"Me, live with Heda and Wanheda?" The girl whispered, awed. We nodded. "Yes please." She smiled sweetly and reached out to touch my face. "Nomi. (Mommy)" Then she turned to Lexa and held out her other hand to Lexa's cheek. "Nomon. (Mother)"

Lexa and I smiled, and my eyes filled with tears for this girl that already trusted us. I had a child, one that I had known for only a few minutes, but I could already feel my heart reaching out to her, vowing to always protect her.

"What is your name, little one?" Lexa asked. We looked at the girl.

"Ai laik Madi. (I am Madi)" She said.