chapter 14

Jasmine

Since yesterday, Cedric and I are in a steady peace. The awkward, flirty study dates from the first couple weeks we knew each other are long forgotten. I look on those days with a sense of sad nostalgia, but then I remember that all those were under false pretenses. Cedric's bet with Draco. But that's not who Cedric is, and I forgive him for that mistake. And what he went through in the summer. The Death Eaters.

I glance at Cedric, who sits with the other Hufflepuffs in the dim lights under the Great Hall. He's not looking at me, but he's laughing with the other Hufflepuffs. He has this uncaring, almost comedic air to him. It's a carefree confidence, I guess, is the best way to describe it.

No one would guess he witnessed a suicide during the summer. No one would guess he was approached and threatened by Death Eaters.

I can't say the same for me. I still don't know what I appear like to other people. Slightly reserved, hotheaded at times, maybe? A good student, sure, but to others I'm just a nameless Gryffindor. Maybe not to Cedric, at least, and that makes me happy.

Cedric catches my eye and waves, and I wave back. It'll be okay, he mouths soundlessly. I manage a grin, mouthing back, don't do anything stupid. As in, don't get yourself killed before we can prevent it. It's easier to joke about it, but sometimes I don't have the energy to joke. I just want to fucking prevent it.

Every time I look at him, I have to force myself to not see a corpse.

The steady peace between him and I is because of our shared knowledge of his death. It's mobid. But it brought us together. And now, all we have to do is prevent that vision from coming true. Again, my mind drifts to what happened in Ilvermorny, the vision of a body on the floor.

Luna Lovegood watches me from the Ravenclaw table, almost as if she can sense what I'm thinking about. Somehow, I feel that the pale-haired pretty girl that the other kids love to mock for being a bit different has seen her share of death. I nod in recognition and smile at her, and she seems grateful to be acknowledged, smiling back.

There's much darkness in the wizarding world. I wish I could go to my parents for help, but how can a No-Maj - a Muggle - understand?

Everyone in the hall ablaze with murmuring knows what we're here for. Durmstrang and Beauxbaton have arrived already, their students scattered about the Great Hall around us.

"Who do you reckon will be chosen for the Tournament?" Ron asks in a hushed voice, breaking the silence in our group.

Harry shrugs, his glasses-clad eyes scanning the room, taking in all the excitement around him. "Honestly, I can't wait to watch, though."

Hermione's eyes are on a group of Durmstrang boys in a corner, all whispering to each other. Ron calls her name, repeating loudly, "Who do you reckon will be chosen?"

She rolls her eyes, pushing him away. "I dunno, I'm just hoping no one gets hurt."

"I hope it's not Cedric."

The three of them gape at me. Not realizing I'd said it out loud, I cover my mouth, my face searing with embarrassment. Hermione gives me a knowing smirk, being a close roommate and friend, of course. Lavender, who was talking with some of her own friends, gives me the same smirk, and I remember her teasing me in our dorm about Cedric a bit ago.. I shoo my hand at both of them.

"Not one word," I grumble, just as Dumbledore slams open the doors dramatically, gliding through the tables, his gray robe trailing behind him like a flag in the wind. Saved by the Headmaster, I guess. The dark, moonlit theme in the Great Hall contributes to everyone's nervous excitement as well as their compliance. The whole Hall is quiet, even before Dumbledore says his usual "Silence!" to calm the crowd.