Chapter 5 - Off To The Races

After (Y/N) got dressed, she began to walk out of her room but she opens the door to see Maxwell waiting for her outside her room, " oh hey, what's up?" she asked, Maxwell, walks in and closes the door, " we need to talk about the derby before we go". (Y/N) nodded her head. " so let's review. at the lawn picnic, you'll have to eat with perfect civility..." (Y/N) shakes her head and stops Maxwell by placing her hands on his shoulders, " I've got this, Maxwell. I won't stuff my mouth, pick my teeth, or stab drake with a fork... no matter how tempting that last one might be." Maxwell nodded his head, " right. well, Bertrand said I should go over everything. speaking of which, how would you address Bertrand?" (Y/N) thinks for a moment and then remembered, "I should address Bertrand as ' your grace'?" Maxwell smiled and he crossed his arms, " right. and in case it comes up, his full title is duke Bertrand Beaumont of ramsford, also know as duke ramsford". 

(Y/N) just stared at him as she tries to remember what he just said. but before he could reply there was a knock on the door. Maxwell opens it and betrends walks in. " Maxwell. how's  progress?"  he asked as he looks at (Y/N), " as planned. (Y/N) and I were just about to review her entrance to the derby and how to get out of a car without flashing the press" (Y/N) smiled as she fiddled a bit with her dress, " adjust skirts before moving and keep your knees and feet together while swivelling out." Bertrand raised an eyebrow at her, " anyone who can run an internet search can spout off that kind of protocol. we're asking you to be a lady. " he then turned to face Maxwell. " Maxwell, I hope you don't mind if I take the liberty of testing (Y/N) myself." Bertrand turned back to (Y/N) and said, " pretty sure it doesn't actually matter whether or not I mind.." " indeed" Bertrand said before he walks towards (Y/N), " (Y/N), let's pretend I'm meeting you for the first time ' hello it's a pleasure to meet you, lady (Y/N) (L/N)" Bertrand said as (Y/N) curtsy while saying, " the pleasure's all mine, duke ramsford." Bertrand takes her hand with his right hand and kisses the back of it. 

"Now, what did I do wrong?" Bertrand asks, (Y/N) thinks for a moment before answering. " you used the wrong hand. you should have taken my hand with your left hand. otherwise, it's an insult." (Y/N) said. Bertrand nodded his head, " very observant of you" he said as(Y/N) raised an eyebrow. " you thought I wasn't learning anything." (Y/N) said, " don't get too complacent. you're only ever one mistake away from a scandal." Bertrand said. " thanks for the reminder" (Y/N) said sarcastically. " anyway, the real reason I came was to inform you that our limo awaits to take us to honey hill downs..." Bertrand said, this perks (Y/N) interest as she looked up, " limo?" she asks with a smile as Bertrand nodded his head and (Y/N) tasks off out of the room and down the hallway. 

a few minutes later, (Y/N) and her host were riding in the limo towards the honey hill downs. (Y/N) was looking out the window as the trees passed her until Bertrand said, " now as we mentioned earlier, how you come across to the cordonian people is very important, and the press can make or break you. what the press writes, the people read. if the people love you, then it'll be easy to convince them you deserve their prince." " so you've got to impress the press, so to speak. you'll be surrounded by them as soon as we pull up to the downs" Maxwell explained as (Y/N) looked at the boys making sure she was listening. 

" all right.... what kinds of questions should I be expecting?" (Y/N) asks, " it'll depend on who's doing the interview... they'll start with easy questions, asking who you are, where you're from, that sort of thing." Bertrand said before maxwell continued, " people want to understand your story... so think about how you want them to see you," maxwell said. " then the hard questions... I don't know what they'll ask, but" Bertrand said before (Y/N) cuts him off. " be myself?" she asks as Bertrand laughed and said " heavens, no. be a future queen who loves cordonia and acts with grace and poise. and for the love of king and country, if they ask you about cordonian apples, make sure you take the question seriously." (Y/N) raised an eyebrow as she was confused about what Bertrand was talking about. " cordonian... apples?" she asks. " it's the national fruit, and one of our most important exports." maxwell explained making (Y/N) nod her head as she understood. " ah, go it." she said. " do you? how confident are you feeling about this?" Bertrand asks, " I feel great. it'll be fun" (Y/N) said with confidence. " I hope your overconfidence won't be your downfall." Bertrand said as maxwell shook his head and patted (Y/N)'s shoulder as he said, " well, I believe in you." (Y/N) smiled as she said, " thanks, maxwell."