𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐃𝐚𝐲

Hello! Just know, this is my first published fanfiction on here. I hope you enjoy it! :D

-----

Third Person POV

It was a very hot and sunny day, meaning that there would be fans blowing indoors, air conditioning turned on, and the smell of sweat lingering in the air. Well, that was exactly how it was described at the DX Gas Station.

Sodapop Curtis and Steve Randle, two Greasers that worked there, realized their feelings for each other and they have been dating for 2 months. The couple has been best friends ever since they were toddlers. Ever since Soda broke up with Sandy, Steve wanted to wait until he approached the younger, to give him time. Steve knew what he was going through since the same thing happened to him with Evie.

After a while, Steve confessed and Soda had the same feelings as well. And so, here they are.

When they came out to the gang about their relationship, they were all accepting. It took a while for Darry to get used to it, but he is now happy for his younger brother.

Soda and Steve have been working at the DX for God knows how long. Steve works part-time, since he is still in school, and Soda works full time. Soda dropped out of high school since he felt that he wasn't smart enough. But, he was able to work at the DX and make some cash.

He and Steve both plan to get an apartment or house together in the future. It's one of the reasons they are working there.

It was about 3 in the afternoon. Steve got off work early since he had half day. Which leaves Soda at the gas station by himself.

 Nowadays, girls would still come by to flirt and check out Soda, even if he is dating Steve. They believe that he is just in a "phase" so they flirt to try and get him out of it. But, Soda lost interest in girls after Sandy left him (I guess he realized he didn't like them after all), he just lets them check him out or flirt with him. He honestly doesn't give a damn.

Anywho, it had been a long day today, and Soda was just ready to go home to his Stevie. He was sitting at the front desk, his head propped up on his hands, slumping down into the desk chair. He was out of it. A nearby fan blew next to him, providing a small breeze in the hot air, but did so little.

He sat up a bit and looked down at his watch. The time read, "3:10." He really wanted to go home.

-----

It was now 4 o'clock, quittin' time for Sodapop. The work bell rang, signaling it was time to go home.

Darry drove both Soda and Steve to work and he wouldn't be home until later. Steve hitchhiked a ride to the Curtis', which isn't a very good idea to Soda, so he had no choice but to walk home. 

Sodapop stood up from behind the cashier's counter, stretched, and walked out of the DX. The door chimed as he opened the door and shut it.

Time for the long walk home, the young Greaser thought to himself. He hated walking home since there was a chance he could get jumped by the Socs. Since word got around that he and Steve were dating, the Socs didn't take it too kindly and have been going after them more often now. Soda dreaded it.

-----

After what felt like forever, Soda finally arrived back home. Darry's truck wasn't in the driveway since he was still at work. And Ponyboy said something about hanging out with Johnny somewhere, so that should leave only Steve at the house. Dally and Two-Bit could be there but, who knows?

Soda pushed open the door of the rusty, metal gate that boarded his house, walked through, and slammed it closed with a clanging sound. He was exhausted. His hair was dirty and sweaty, clinging to his head along with his DX cap. His face was slightly smudged with motor oil, along with sweat dripping down the side of his face. His brown eyes didn't look reckless and energetic like they always were. His hands too had motor oil smeared on them. He really wanted to just lie down with Steve and go to bed.