Humanity's Comeback Pt. 2

A soft chuckle escaped your lips as. Of course... it's never this easy huh? Seated in the corner of the mess, you silently watched the other cadets around you buzz about. Division assignment was right around the corner, training was going to end soon, and heck even this constant sludge of food might be a bit better once assigned to an actual division. You poked at your food and let your gaze lift up, watching Sasha and Conny talk with other groups, allowing you to wallow in your own thoughts. So this was it, huh? Nearing the end...  a life of luxury trapped behind Wall Sina as you were your Father's personal pet on a leash. The luster of your older brother must have worn off for him to so desperately wish for your entry into the MP. Maybe if you got into the top 10 you could at least use that position to coast, soaking up the praise of those snobby pricks behind the wall long enough to set out on your own somewhere. Maybe by a nice lake... you found your gaze drawn to a scuffle between Eren and the other cadet you knew vaguely... Jean you thought his name was. Been together two years and still, you can't pinpoint everyone's name. 218 cadets do make it hard to remember faces and names.

(Y/n): Those two...

It honestly upset you to a certain point. Everyone here was so hard-headed. You had thought you were stubborn but between the cadets that wanted to run and hide at the sight of Shadis even after two years, to the people like Jean that wanted to slack off, even Eren. His passion could only get so far and when you spend more time yelling about your problems instead of doing something about it, one can wonder if that burning passion is but lowly embers. Leaning back in your seat, you decided to move away from those topics before you get a headache, instead of focusing on your life. 

(Y/n): Hmph... aren't I a miserable waste... I'm treated like a chess piece by my Father and I've yet to have any say in my life aside from if can breathe or not and even then he makes it hard to want to keep doing so, breathing the same air as he might rot my lungs, that honey-tongued cur...

You grit your teeth, almost wanting to smack yourself for letting your thoughts drift back to... him. You took a bite of your food and glanced up to see what had taken place between Eren and Jean.

The mess hall froze as Shadis inquired about the loud noise he had heard. It was bad enough that they could all get in trouble for those two fighting, but nobody quite knew what to say. It was then a black-haired girl raised her hand and spoke. 

???: Sir, Sasha let a giant fart rip.

Sasha had never felt such betrayal before. It was even worse when Shadis believed it! She glanced around the mess hall, looking upon the faces of her "friends" that did their best to not outright laugh. Her eyes then glanced around to find you. she knew you would never betray her by la- WHAT?! You had a fork in your mouth, having just taken a bite of food only for your lips to be pressed into a line, your eyes wide as you did your very best not to launch a mouthful of your meal out in a laughing fit. That absolutely shattered your serious moment as you did your best to hold it together until the instructor left. Once Shadis had left, the mess burst into laughter, you couldn't even hold back a light chuckle as Sasha was bribed with bread for her sacrifice. As you looked over the smiling faces of your comrades, you let a small smile slip onto your face, maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

You didn't quite know what to feel. A strange cocktail of emotions filled your chest as you heard what was being announced to your cadet corp. 

Christa Lenz

Sasha Braus

Conny Springer