Chapter 34

STEF

Today is a huge day on Port Ranch. Two days ago, Jace and Deacon finalized the sale of Carey Webster’s farm. There were a few changes last minute, like a new real estate agent, but everything else went off with a hitch. Last night Brian and Tracy invited Mr. Webster over for dinner and a final farewell and this morning he was on his merry way to see his kids and start his retirement.

Everything about this purchase and expansion impacts the ranch in one way or another. All of Webster’s employees are now under the Port Ranch umbrella. Although they have their own accounts under the umbrella, both ranches will run under the same corporation. This means that the workers can move fluidly from one ranch to another, depending on where the work needs to be done. Jace and Deacon have their plot and their legacy, but they aren’t leaving the ranch or the family by any means.

This morning everybody is gathered around the opening to the fence that has been used by the guys over the last thirty days to gain access without having to make the long trip around, but today it becomes official, the joining of the two ranches, the growing of the ranches, the growing of the family business. I stand next to Deacon, his head held extra high today. He has worked so hard to be prepared for this time to shine. I’ve never seen him so dedicated to anything before, well maybe except for getting me back.

“Do you two want to do the honor?” Granger hands a large pair of bolt cutters to Deacon and Jace. They each grab a handle and stand in front of the makeshift gate that they put up a little while ago.

“Once we take this section down, it’s going to be real, brother,” Jace comments to Deacon.

“Pretty sure it was real when I wrote that check the other day!” Catarina hollered towards the guys, causing a roar of laughter from everybody else in the family. Catarina and I stand closer together, she had Aubree strapped to her chest in one of those baby carriers and we looped our arms together. This purchase was a big deal for the brothers, but it was also a huge deal for the two of us. 

Catarina, obviously, supplied most of the cash for the sale, but it isn’t just about the money. This part of the ranch is going to be run by our men for the rest of their lives, therefore we’re raising our kids on this land, we’re spending our holidays here, this is going to be our future as much as Jace and Deacon. I’m so excited to share this with Catarina, as her sister…..well future sister.

“One, two, three!” Deacon counts down and then together and clip the lock on the fence. Everybody cheers and hugs and handshakes are shared among the family. “Come on guys, let’s tear this shit down so we can rebuild it!”

All of the guys, including the little ones, start yanking and pulling at the section of fence that they’re turning into an automated gate today. By the end of the day, there will be a full line of new fencing that includes a key code entry opening so everybody can move between both sides. It is just one of the many updates that the guys have planned. We watch the guys work for a bit of time, but the women start to break off and head back to their homes. Britt and Tracy are going to work on a lunch for the guys and Ember, Harlow, and I are going to help Catarina with packing.

“When do they expect your furniture to get in?” Harlow asked as we enter our current home.

“The deliveries are going to start coming tomorrow, but everything is staying in one of the storage barns until we can get the floors done.” Catarina sets Aubree into her little bassinet.

“Can I use your pack and play for this one?” Harlow playfully bounces Lacey on her hip.

“Of course, my baby equipment is your baby equipment. I mean, in some cases it is so…..”