The Stranger

Mongolia, April 1327

Lupus -

I get off my mule and begin to lead him as we travel into the village. I can sense I'm not welcome with the peering eyes leering at me, but I continue on as the wives of men stare at me from the windows of their homes. The older men sitting outside also give me a silent glare. They can't see much of my face with the cloak covering me, but there's just enough for them to already not like me. The mid spring sun beams down onto the dusty land I walk on. I imagine a lot of the negativity I feel being here is from how I look very different from them. This seems like a small village, much like those others that scattered the outskirts of the capital back in Albania. It almost reminds me of the ones I had taken over back then. Way back then.
"Getting nostalgic, darling?" Nemesis' voice in my head talks to me again.
"... No."
"Oh, come darling. I saw how much fun you had then. You always liked a good fight. Hehe." Her laugh slowly fades from me until only I am left alone in my head again.
"I'm but a guest here until something makes me change that... That's all, Nemi..." The kids of the villagers are still playing with their kickballs of tied up dried grass and didn't mind my presence despite everyone else here. Although many of them stared as I towered over any other person here. I guess they're just naive to what their parents think of me because they had to grab their kids to bring them inside their mud brick homes themselves. I stroll my way further down the path and find a tavern. I know I'm not good at communicating, but I may get some more information on the man I want. I crouch my body down to fit through the shabby doorway, then find a seat at the lounge table and sit down in front of the bartender, a passed out man to my left. Mid day and he's already drunk himself to sleep. The wooden stool creaks noticeabley as I lay my weight upon it.

"Can I get some of that milk looking alcohol you guys got." His head looked up at me, then he looked back down. To my surprise, he wasn't shocked as to how I spoke.
"You know, supernatural beings like yourself are being hunted down around here right now. And you're speaking Chinese here? You must really not care."
"I'm aware. I have no worries."
"The Khan has been capturing spirits for the last 2 years now, so I wouldn't say you're invincible if you think that. His recent set of victories in Japan got him a lot of new captures too. And incase you didn't know, spirits from Japan are notorious for how hard they are to take down."
"..." He grabs the bottle from behind him, then puts a mug in front of me.
"... Has he made his reason for wanting them known?"
"I'm just a bartender. I serve drinks and don't ask questions." He pours my drink into the mug.
"..." we stay silent as I take a hold of the container.
"I may not ask, but some people like to run their mouths off about things... Soldiers come in and out. Rumors spread, and I'm just the man in the background no one pays attention to that's listening to it all."
"..."
"I just serve the drinks and the drunk men run their mouths... My name is Batu Gan by the way. What's yours, stranger?"
"..."
"Not very talkative I guess." He grabs one of the many mugs from the passed out drunk next to me and begins cleaning it. I take a drink from my own.

"If you think you can stand your own against the many special forces he has posted around here, then good luck to you. Just don't let your guard down around these parts."
"I'll keep that noted. I appreciate it." Very little am I offered hospitality like I usually am at home. I sense his eyebrows come up to look at me.
"I know I don't really ask questions to anyone, but why did you come here anyway? Even when you said you knew it'd be dangerous for you to be here."
"..." I stay silent and take another drink.
"I was expecting that for an answer... Well look..." He finishes wiping the mug in his hand and grabs the next one.
"I don't get many interesting customers around here, and you're the first one in over ten years, so I'll do you a solid." I finish my drink and point my head to him.
"I know a man on a mission when I see one. If you need help with something, I'll be there, as long as you give me a good story to tell around here."
"..."
"You can have time to think about it, it's fine. Just offering a hand to you is all."
I place two coins on the table and begin to make my exit.
"I appreciate the offer, but I don't think I'll be needing it."
"Sir, the arkhi was only one coin." I open the door.
"I know." I make my leave out.