Epilogue

Mongolia, May 1327

Lupus -

Ainu was able to convince a farmer to let us stay the night in their barn, and I assume they saw the clothes we were wearing and felt bad for us thinking we were homeless. As I lay in the hay, Ainu comes back into the barn house.
"What do you think of her, darling?" Nemesis comes back into my mind. I'm not sure what she means by this question however and I soon get lost in my thoughts.
"Lupus..." Ainu snaps me out of my daze.
"Yeah?"
"It's gonna be cold tonight."
"I'll be fine."
"No, I mean I'm going to be cold. Of course the man of fire is going to be warm. Heheh."
"..."
"Do you think I can sleep next to you tonight?"
"..."
"Getting quite brazen, isn't she?" Nemi fades back in.
"... Sure."
"Thank you." She bows forward, then steps up to where I lay, resting herself just a little bit away. She curls her tail in and hugs it to help her conserve heat.
"So?" Nemesis pries for an answer.
"..." I get up and begin to exit the barn. I get far from ear shot of Ainu.
"What?"
"What do you mean 'what'? She's cute, don't you think?"
"..."
"You know I can read you, darling. You think she's cute, don't you?"
"..."
"Heh. I'm not upset about it, love. I think she is too. I wanna pet her head and give her little belly rubs."
"She isn't Marti."
"I know she isn't, but it's just been a while since I've pet an animal. And she's the closest thing to a fluffy dog like Marti around here."
"..."
"Do you think you could pet her for me, darling?"
"What? Why?"
"Come on, pleeease? I wanna know how fluffy the fur on her tail is."

Ainu -

Lupus has been outside alone for a while. I thought he had to use the outhouse, but he's taking too long for that. I get up and walk to the door, but just peeking out, I see him sitting on a tree stump. He looks like he's in deep thought. He's talking to himself alone in the dark of night.
"I miss you... Not a day goes by that I don't wish to take your place..."
"..."
"No..."
"..."
"I know you are..."
"..."
"... Okay..." It's like he's having a whole conversation with himself, but given the context of his first sentence, I think I can imagine who it is. Poor man is still mourning his wife... I come back in to give him privacy, but not too soon after, he comes back in. He lays next to me silently, warming the area. Suddenly though, his hand caresses my tail. He doesn't say a word, but he gently strokes it. I use my Essence to help him be able to feel it, and looking to him, a small smile appears on his face.