27 - Watcher in the Wall

--Emilia's Pov--

Blake called me when I was on my way home from a short morning shift to tell me Macy was being released from the hospital. I thought it was strange how quickly she got better, especially after an animal attack. Maybe it wasn't that bad.

"At least she's being let out today." I say on the phone as I enter my house.

"Yeah, I'm very happy about that. I'm glad she's okay."

"You gonna be home later?"

"Uh, probably. I still have to pick something up for you. But you're not getting it until your birthday."

"Awe man." As I walked into my room I saw my window cracked open. "God damn it. Blake when you get back you need to fix my window or something." I tell him as I close it.

"Was it open again?"

"Yeah and no one was here. Mom's at work."

"Go into my room and get my bat."

"I am not going into that cesspit." I heard him let out a laugh before sighing.

"I'd rather you have something to protect yourself with than nothing at all."

I laugh. "I'm sure with the way Karen watches the neighborhood no one would dare break in here without the cops being called like 10 seconds later. I'm gonna go, I wanna take a shower and eat. Be careful."

"I will. Love you, little shit."

"Love you too, big shit." I threw my phone on my bed after I hung up and just as I was about to grab a t-shirt and sweatpants I heard my phone go off with a text notification. I picked up my phone to see that Billie texted me.

>Hey love

Hi<

>Have you decided what you wanna do next week?

Can you still see about renting that cabin you were talking about?<

>Don't really have to rent it cause we own it lmao
>But are you sure?

I am but let's leave the day after my birthday<

Just in case they wanna do something with me<

>That's perfectly fine babe
>Can't wait! You'll really love it up there!

I smiled when she began to talk about what it was like. There was something about the whole thing that just made my heart flutter. The fact she was willing to do this for me, even though she didn't have to, was really sweet and I loved it.

I loved her. Maybe I'll tell her that at some point.

The house was so quiet since nothing was on, aside from the occasional beep of the carbon monoxide monitor. So quiet I could hear a slight pounding in my ears. I shake my head and go to my dresser for a clean pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt and head for the bathroom.

--No-one's Pov--

Billie kept in touch with Zoe and Drew after their close call last week. The second she got back home she spent the night with Emilia. It made her really think, though. If the Nightwatch are bold enough to lure them out, who knows what else they were capable of.

Actually she knew what they were capable of. They were the secret society that made sure people like her don't exist anymore. The secret society of hunters dating back way before the witch trials.

They viewed purebred werewolves as a danger to the world. Vampires weren't safe either, not even half-breed werewolves. They didn't learn from the first Blood War, she saw that very clearly. The Headmaster was going to keep going until he got everyone on both sides killed.

Question to her was why? Why was he so obsessed with the werewolves? Why were there more of them disappearing than the vampires?

They were pretty hard to suss out, it's not like they had it tattooed on their foreheads. She heard her mom speaking to Sandy when she was over, introducing Krista so she could get to know her, telling them about Josh and that they should be careful. She did hear something, though, that could possibly answer her question.

It had nothing to do with Tony Bailey, but instead it had something to do with the Headmaster's wife. She overheard that his wife was mauled to death by a wolf and that the Headmaster was a survivor of the attack.

Thank god for Krista, otherwise they wouldn't have known that. But she could have gone without knowing. Especially since she remembers attacking two campers when she wasn't in a good headspace.

She shuddered as she texted Emilia back, trying to get her mind off of it. It wasn't the best thought and it sure as hell wasn't going away anytime soon.

As she waited for a reply she saw a large eye on the wall from her peripheral vision, looking over to see it going away. Sitting up she stared at the spot, seeing the faint mark of black against the white wall.

"Watcher..." She whispered to herself as she stood, making sure to grab her phone before she left her room.

Rushing down the stairs she saw only Claudia laying on the couch watching something on tv. "There was a Watcher in my room."

Claudia sat up immediately and muted the tv, "a Watcher? How do you know?"

"The black eyeball on my wall, Claudia. It was looking at me."

"What do you think they want?"

"Maybe to keep an eye on me or something, I don't know. What if they're working for the Nightwatch?"

Claudia shook her head, "I doubt that."

"Why?"

"From what I've heard, Watchers despise them. Pretty much every being out there despises them."

"But how do you know that one of them isn't?"

"I don't but surely if there was one working for them, the hunters would have shown up by now."

She had a point, Billie knew this. They would have probably been dead already if the Watcher had their eyes on them. It calmed her down a bit, even the text notification made her heart skip a beat. Leaving the room so Claudia could watch her show, she went back upstairs to her room to see that the eye was gone.

But in its place was small black writing that Billie had to get up close with to read.

You can trust me, Billie.

Question to her was, who the hell was it?

And that question haunted her for the next week, even when she was at Emilia's house for her birthday.