Chapter 4

ELSA

" This is....beyond me. " I mutter within 5 minutes of settling down in the stadium referring to the men in white White jerseys, the sticks, the helmets, and the enthusiasm palpable amongst the audience.

" It's The Ashes. A test cricket match between England and Australia. Their rivalries go way back, it's a big deal for the cricket enthusiasts. " Illyas explains but he might as well be speaking gibberish.

" I don't even understand cricket, what am I supposed to do with history and rivalry? "

" See there, those three sticks on both ends. " He points," They are called stumps. There are two batsmen, one bowler and the rest are fielders."

I cover my eyes with my hands to have a better look. This is not the picnic I had in mind. A sport I have no clue about and the sun which hampers your visibility.

A pair of sunglasses appears in front of me, Illyas holds them out to me, and with a 'thank-you' I perch them on my nose.

"The batsman has to hit the ball with his bat, he can run between those two stumps for runs. If the ball touches the boundary, it means 4 runes and if it flies past it it's a 6. He can get out though, if the stumps are hit, or a fielder catches the ball. " He continues.

" Ahhh....ok ok. I need to get the hang of it. "
I bring out the sunscreen from my bag, squeezing a good amount of it in my hands.

" Want some? "

" I am not as white as a snowflake. A little bit of sun won't harm me. " He relaxed into his seat, closing his eyes, basking in the sun, his golden skin reflecting the sunlight.

" That's...that's...I don't even know what to label it. Suit yourself, I don't need a melanoma mole on my face. " I start lathering my face, hand, and neck with layers of sunscreen.

" You don't have a mole on your face. " He points out with his eyes still closed.

" I do. "

" No, you don't. " He responds vehemently.

" I..don't? " There is a confidence in his voice which makes me waiver in my stance.

" You don't. Not even a single one. Mole or freckle. " He states it as an irrefutable fact.

" How can you be so sure? "

" Because I have eyes. " On saying this, he tilts his head toward me, opening his eyes, which hold me in place under its intensity.

" I can still get tanned. " I sing-song and continue my task.

" As you say snowflake. "

" Not you too! " I whine. When he lifts his brow a millimetre, I explain to him the absurd theory my brother has conjured.

" So I am not the only one who sees it. " He boasts.

" Whatever. " I chuck my tongue in announce. Like I needed any more people to agree with Aiden's dumb co-relation.

By the next hour, I have a better understanding of the sport, and with a quick chat with Xian and Claire, I am giving my full-fledged support to England.

" Is...that's an out right? " I jump to celebrate, only to stop when I hear disappointed sounds from the crowd.
Illyas tugs at my sleeve.

" No. " He informs.

" How?...he caught the ball. " I move my hand animatedly in the air.

" Yes, but he should catch it before the ball touches the ground. " He points at the big screen where a reply is being played.