5. Parting Ways

Mature warning. Please read at your own discretion.

It was officially Poppy's last full day of the holidays before she would resume her studies at Hogwarts. To mark the occasion, Poppy's mother had allowed for Remus to come over during the day and spend the night. They had only seen each other a couple of days beforehand as it had been a full moon, but Poppy was delighted to spend more time with her lover.

Her mother was to spend the day at the Ministry. It seemed as though she did most days, especially since the incident at the Quidditch World Cup.

At around ten in the morning, Remus arrived. The pair hugged as they met each other, whispering how much they had missed each other.

"Have you packed yet?" Remus asked as they made their way to the kitchen.

Poppy began to brew some tea for the pair.

"Mostly," she answered, fetching two teacups from the cupboard. "Just a few little things left to pack."

"Where's your mother?" He asked.

"Work," she answered, pouring the tea and adding milk and sugar. "It seems as though that's all she's been doing since the World Cup. She's been flat out. The Ministry has been doing everything in their power to deny the resurfacing of the Death Eaters. They pinned the conjuring of the Dark Mark on an innocent house elf."

"Surprise, surprise," Remus said sarcastically, grabbing a cup from Poppy. "You know, Fudge. He would never admit to the public something like that. He'd much rather pin it on someone and move on."

Poppy nodded in agreement, stating, "Even if Voldemort returned, I doubt they'd be jumping at the chance to admit it. The Ministry doesn't want to deal with the return of the wizarding war. They'd rather deny it and take no accountability."

Poppy and Remus took their drinks to the back garden, continuing their discussion on wizarding politics.

"What should we do now that we've solved the world's problems?" Poppy joked, sitting back in a patio chair.

"Hmm. I have an idea!" Remus answered, leaning forward across the patio table, placing a firm kiss on her lips. Poppy let out a giggle, followed by a saddened sigh.

"I'm worried about Harry," she spoke, placing down her cup. "If he returns, he'll be after Harry."

"I know," Remus sighed. "I've thought of that."

"He'll be after me too," Poppy stated, furrowing her brow. "He wanted my father to join. He killed him because he didn't. If he's looking to recruit people, he'll try me too."

"I'll be honest, Poppy. That thought has crossed my mind too. You're an incredibly intelligent witch, and given the history with your father, he does have incentive to try and get you to join," Remus explained with a sigh.
"But I won't let that happen. I'll protect you, Poppy. I'll never let anything happen to you."

"I know," she answered sweetly. "I'll protect you too."

The pair soon finished their drinks and went inside, and up into Poppy's room. She decided that she would quickly finish packing.

"My Mum is supposed to be working tomorrow," Poppy stated as she placed her school books for the year into her trunk. "I was wondering if you'd maybe accompany me to Kings Cross."