Chapter 1: Kirk

"Captain, I detect another planet within our radius," said Chekov.

I sat up in my chair. My face lit up. For what seemed like for the first time in months, I felt genuinely excited.

"Finally!" I exclaimed. "Drop out of warp. Now, Chekov."

"Yes, sir."

"Which planet? Has it been discovered?"

"Yes," Chekov said. "Oxdoron. It was discovered about two decades ago. Completely uninhabited. Our radar says that there is nothing down there. "

I sighed.

"Well let's go down and take a look anyways," I said.

"But the radar - "

"I know what the radar says, Chekov," I said in a cold, stern voice, which I immediately regretted. "But I'm telling you to go beam yourself down there and take a look."

"I understand that you're tired of these disappointing results," said Chekov. "But this planet is in the same conditions as the other one's that we have visited. Starfleet already went down there; there's nothing."

"Well maybe they missed something, or maybe something changed since then!" I exploded. "We checked the other planets that we've encountered, and now we are going to check this one. Chekov, get ready to beam." I turned in his chair. "You too, Spock."

"Captain, I find it highly illogical to - "

"Spock. Go."

Without another word, Spock exited the room with Chekov. The room was dead silent. We hadn't encountered anything new, and it was really starting to get to me. I started this exploration to visit new, undiscovered territory; to find different life forms and venture into the unknown, but all I had found was the dark emptiness of space.

"With all due respect Captain, that wasn't necessary ," said Uhura.

"I know," I said. "And I'm sorry. I just wish we could find something. Anything."

"Alright, Captain," said Uhura. "They've just beamed down."

"Excellent," I said.

"Come in, Captain. Can you hear me?"

"Loud and clear, Chekov," I stood up and paced back and forth.

"Alright!" I exclaimed. "Is there anything down there?"

There was a long pause. Although it was only a few seconds, it felt like an eternity. I sensed that there was not going to be great news.

"Captain," said Spock. "I am sorry to inform you that there appears there is nothing of importance down here; just dry land and rocks that go on for miles."

"Can you breath? Is there oxygen there?"

"I just took my helmet off: there does appear to be oxygen, but there is a strange odor in the air."

"So there's no signs of life at all?" I asked, although I knew what the answer was. But I did not receive an answer.

"Spock? Chekov?"

Nothing.

"Uhura! What happened!" I yelled.

"They've dropped completely off the radar and communication is down." she replied.

"Well that's just great. I thought there were no other signs of life! Bones?"

"There weren't. And there still aren't," he said, clearly confused. "The atmosphere contains way too much carbon dioxide for any other organism to breathe." I couldn't believe what was happening; a couple minutes ago, I had been bored out of my mind, but now that something of any significance happened, I totally lost control.

"Well then how did Spock and Chekov take their helmets off?" I questioned. "If it was the carbon dioxide that made them stop responding, then we would still have them on the radar."

"The air that we breathe in this starship contains slightly more carbon dioxide than the air on earth, and for each day that we are on the ship, the amount of carbon dioxide increases to ration the oxygen. We've all built up a kind of tolerance to it, you could say."

"Well, then send me down!" I said. I stood up and headed for Transporter Platform.

"Wait, Kirk!" called Uhura. I stopped and turned around. "That might not be such a good idea; come take a look at this." I reluctantly turned around and walked over to her. All of the radars were malfunctioning, and although the small green dots that represented Spock and Chekov were gone, there were seven other red dots teleporting all over the radar. I had never seen anything like this before.

"That's impossible; nothing could teleport that fast. Reboot the system." I said.

"I can't," she said, clearly in distress. "There's something down there that has technology far more advanced than anything we have seen before. You have no idea what could be waiting down there for you."

I hesitated only for a moment, but I couldn't back down now.

"We can't just leave them there," I said. "I don't have a choice." I took a deep breath and grabbed a phaser. "Beam me down, Sulu."