Using music in your story

I find that music is a great addition to the plot as it can help build up the tone you're aiming for in that specific chapter. Choosing the right song shouldn't be too much of a challenge, but I will show you the level importance it has within a chapter.

Please read the exert below and play the song I have attached.

"Oh wow, I love going to the Honeydukes!" Sarah smiled while eating her lemon sherbets.

"I don't like them sweets" Luke shook his head, "The lollipops are a lot better"

"My mum always likes to buy me haribo sweets whenever I am in the muggle world" Sarah admitted, smiling at Luke, "Although, she doesn't like me eating too many because she thinks it will rot my teeth"

"Sweets are never going to rot your teeth" Luke shook his head, "I think parents just say that to scare their children"

"Well there could be some truth in the words she speaks" Sarah nodded wisely, "At 13, I don't want to be losing all of my teeth"

"I think you'd look splendid with no teeth" Luke nodded and Sarah chortled with laughter.

As both of them walked down the path to the three broomsticks, they were greeted with beaming smiles coming from their classmates. Sarah smiled back, waving at them in addition. Luke waved towards Ron Weasley, who didn't seem to notice as he was having an avid conversation with Hermione. Regardless, everyone was happy.

Sarah smiled with glee, "I feel a little giddy, maybe I shouldn't have ate all of those sweets"

Notice how the atmosphere created in this section? The music does not compliment it, in fact it confuses the tone you're trying to portray. Now, read the next section and see how different it is in comparison to the last mini chapter.

"So nice of you to have dropped by" I replied sarcastically.

"Alright, Talia. I'm sorry but I genuinely was busy"

"Great! That's such a comfort"

"Why are you being so defensive all of a sudden?"

"Hmm, think. Why is Natalia, my girlfriend who I have not spoken to once today, being so defensive? Gosh, I really have no idea!"

"God, I'm really sorry I didn't make my day revolve around you, your highness"

"Last time I checked, saying a simple hello and asking me if I'm okay doesn't take that much effort!" I added defensively.

"Are you flustered because one tiny thing went wrong in your ever so difficult life?" he replied sarcastically.

"Why don't you get your perfectly trimmed head out of your backside and stop acting like a jerk"

"Only if you stop being crabby and inconsiderate!"

"Ha! I'm the inconsiderate one? Maybe if you had some gumption, you would notice that I've been really down because Carly now hates me!"

"Wait-what?"

"Oh, but remember. My life isn't difficult"

The song compliments this mini chapter as it aims to develop the tension that is already present. Comparing the tone that is created in a song with your chapter is imperative if you want it to reflect the correct mood. You wouldn't have Someday my Prince will come in the middle of a battle sequence, would you?

Happy/nostalgic songs for inspiration
1. Tiny dancer by Elton John
2. Here comes the sun by the Beatles
3. Evermore by Taylor swift and Bon iver
4.  Only beginning of an adventure by Harry Gregson Williams
5. Suite by Alan Silvestri
6. Losing my religion by REM
7. There she go's by the LA's
8. Fireflies by owl city
9. Rule the world by Take That
10. Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Knicks

Sad songs for inspiration
1. lovely by Billie Eilish and Khalid
2. Lily's theme by Alexandre Desplat
3. Reaping day by James Newton Howard
4. No time to die by Billie Eilish
5. Black Bile by Montie
6. Just a dream, cover, by Kurt Hugo Schneider and Christina Grimmie
7. Happier by Ed Sheeran
8. Tell your heart to beat again by Danny Gokey
9. How to save a life by the Fray
10. Who you are by Jessie J

Action songs for inspiration
1. Obliviate by Alexandre Desplat
2. Everybody wants to rule the world, cover, by Lorde from the motion picture the Hunger Games: catching fire.
3. Statues by Alexandre Desplat
4. Into the Unknown by Idina Menzel and Aurora, from the motion picture Frozen 2
5. Les Arbres by Thomas Howard
6. Toxic cover by 2WEI
7. Gangsta's paradise by Coolio
8. Nightmare by Halsey
9. Colours by Halsey
10. Out of the woods by Taylor Swift