CHAPTER 35

I have gained consciousness for two days but I don’t want people knowing and fussing over me and actually telling me that I need to talk to someone, a therapist. I don’t wanna talk about what happened to me. I just wanna forget about it. It’s bad enough that I have wounds and scars all over my body to remind me of the torture I went through.

My mind keep drifting back to the mountain of uHluhluwe where I almost lost my life. A part of me stayed behind that place. The part which longs for a life partner who will love and take care of me. I no longer need that in my life. I am good with love. The two times I opened my heart for men, I got burned and I have scars indicating that. I hate love.

My doctor and nurse are the only ones who know that I am awake and I want to keep it that way. I still haven’t uttered a single word ever since I woke up. Today is no exception. I wake up, shower and go back to bed. Life is now a struggle. My body is still sore but at least they give me medication for the pain every day. Just as I am fixing my pillow someone barges in before I can even pretend to be asleep.

Kheswa: “you’re awake!” he exclaims. “Let me call your doctor.” He rushes off. I adjust my bed and lie down. He comes back with the doctor. “Please check her doctor.”

Doctor: “you’re awake. Are you feeling okay?” I nod. That’s how I communicate with my doctor. “Are you feeling any pain?” I tilt my head to the side which indicates that I feel slight pain. He writes something on his file. “Okay, your nurse will bring your meds and food.” I nod again. He heads out.

Kheswa: “so you have been awake for a while now?” I look at him and then look the other way. “You’re not talking?” I nod. “You don’t wanna talk?” I nod again. He huffs and sits down. He starts typing some things on his phone. A while later my nurse comes in with food and pills. “I will feed her and make sure she drinks her meds.” He says taking the stuff from her and she heads out.
.
.
After a few minutes my family barges into my ward. I guess I am in Jo’burg. I have a feeling that I need to tell them what went down so that they won’t keep asking many questions. They shower me with hugs. I nearly break down but I keep strong. Also I cried too much that day. I have no tears left.
Gran looks slim. I know that my situation makes people sit down. They all settle down. I narrate the whole story while everyone is listening attentively. When I am done there is nothing but sobs and sniffs that are being produced by everyone. Kheswa comes closer to me and hugs me.

Kheswa: “I am sorry I didn’t get to you in time. Please forgive me.” I wanna tell him that it’s not his fault but I guess I am back to being a mute.

Papa: “he should be lucky that he is dead or else I would’ve made him suffer 10 times more than he did to you.” He says angrily and then heads out. I have never seen him that angry before.

Mom: “baby we will get through this together. You just need to open up to a therapist so that you can heal emotionally.” I just adjust my bed and lie down. Luckily my nurse is an angel from heaven. She enters at that exact moment.

Nurse: “I am sorry for disturbing you but visiting hours are over.” Dad and nana comes to hug me. My mother also hugs me and then they leave. “My statement refers to you too Mr.” she says looking at Kheswa. He plants a kiss on my forehead and then heads out. My doctor gets in.

Doctor: “you have a therapy session with Doctor Arendse. She is going to come here in a few minutes. Please cooperate with her.” The nurse check my wounds and when she is done, they both head out.
.
.
I am woken up by flowers scent. I guess it’s the therapist’s cologne. I didn’t even know when I dosed off. I sit up and look at her. She is all smiley. Her smiles annoys me because it reminds me of Mnqobi’s smile. She sits on the chair next to my bed.

Doctor: “you are very beautiful.” Fuck that name triggers many emotions. I just look at her and then go back to my sleeping position. “I guess you are not talking today. We will try this again tomorrow. Just so you know, you won’t leave this place without opening up.” I guess she was expecting to talk about them holding me against my will or whatever. “See you tomorrow then.” She stands up and heads out.
.
.
.
#ISFFASK