The Christmas Hat

The Christmas Hat

Toby was seven years old when he woke up on Christmas day in the year ’99. He was surprised to find a gift wrapped in shiny red paper right next to his bed.

Why not under the Christmas tree? He had wondered but the thought quickly disappeared once he had the gift in his hands.

He tore the paper and stared at what he found inside.

He frowned at the simple red Santa Claus hat which was lying on his lap. He held the hat in his right hand and crumpled the paper in his left hand. He threw the paper and it landed in the trash can near his bed.

He jumped off the bed and put on his blue slippers.

Still clutching the hat, he walked out of his room and down the stairs where he could smell his mother’s delicious cooking.

He went to the kitchen first where he heard his parents talking.

As soon as his dad saw him, he lifted him up and started tickling him. Toby clutched the hat tighter to his chest as he giggled.

“Merry Christmas!” He heard his mom say happily as his dad set him down on his feet again.

Tony grinned, showing his missing front teeth.

“Where did you get the hat from kiddo?” his dad asked as he went back to drinking his cup of coffee.

“Santa Claus put it for me next to my bed,” Toby said as he put the hat on his head. It was surprisingly very comfortable and warm. “I don’t know why. I asked him for a new remote control car.”

His parents frowned as they shared a look.

“Maybe my real gift is under the tree!” Toby carried on talking, oblivious to his parents’ reactions.

He then darted out of the kitchen. When he reached the tree he found a gift lying under it. On it there was a white sticker with ‘TOBY’ written on it.

“It’s here! It’s here!” He yelled as he tore the paper.

He smiled brightly when he saw the blue remote control car he had asked Santa Claus for.

Immediately, he took out the car and started playing with it, the mysterious Christmas hat on his head completely forgotten.

A few hours later his mom helped him put on his new Christmas clothes. He refused to remove the hat because he liked the nice feeling it gave him.

His mom eventually let him keep it on and went downstairs to set the plates before the whole family arrived.

At exactly twelve o'clock, the doorbell rang.

“Merry Christmas!” The whole family said as they walked into the room.

They exchanged hugs and smiles before they sat on the table. Toby’s two uncles and their wives along with Toby’s parents sat to the left of the table while Toby and his two cousins Marco and Kayla sat on the right side, talking about the gifts Santa Claus had gotten them this year.

Toby, Marco, and Kayla were almost the same age so they always enjoyed those family reunions.

“I love Christmas!” Toby said to Kayla. “I always get gifts and mom makes very yummy food and we all spend the day together!”

“I know. I love Christmas too,” Kayla agreed, smiling as well.

Their parents listened to their conversation and smiled happily. They enjoyed Christmas as well.