Dying For You

Dying For You

“What is the meaning of life daddy?” Kayla asked her dad. He smiled down at his eleven year old daughter. Kayla was different from the other kids her age. She was much more mature so he couldn’t tell her something like ‘life is a gift’ or ‘life is the greatest thing’. She was expecting a bigger answer.

When her father looked into her big innocent green eyes, the words seemed to slip out of his mouth without him thinking,

“Life is a precious thing, Kayla. You can make the best of it. You decide everything that happens in it. You make use of every single day in it. Some people do not know the true meaning of life and they waste theirs on very unimportant stuff. Smart people like yourself should know how to live their life and maybe throughout living it perfectly, you could help others live theirs. You should have everything in your life; seriousness, fun, knowledge, love, friendship, sadness, happiness, excitement and much more. You have to experience everything. The bad things in life help you appreciate the little good things. Sure bad things bring you down a bit but if you work properly, you will rise twice as much!”

Kayla was absorbing every piece of information her father was giving her. She loved looking into his blue eyes because they reminded her of the clear blue sky on a hot summer day. They were filled with endless love and kindness. She felt safe just by looking into his eyes. Her father was a really wise man. He always knew what to say; she never saw him thinking hard about a question she asked him and he always says the right things. He was perfect. He did nothing wrong. And most of all, he loved her more than anything else.

She shuffled on her white hospital bed till she had a perfect view of her father who was lying on the other bed. Then another question popped into her head. She knew her father would give her the best answer so she asked without hesitation,

“Why do people say that life is unfair? Is it true?”

The man looked at his daughter. She was beautiful on the outside and on the inside. Her strawberry blond hair and green eyes showed the innocence and love in her heart. He knew that one day she will be something big. Life gave him more than he deserves.

“Sometimes, a person’s life has more bad things in it than good things, so compared to someone else, his life sucks. He’s probably poor or an orphan. That’s not his fault; he didn’t do anything to deserve this life. He’s going to suffer at first but if he is truly smart, he would work hard to make his life better and trust me he’ll succeed. Most of the successful people had a tragic life but they know how to turn it around.”

Kayla nodded her head thinking that he was right. Hard work always gives you a great result.

“But how come some people are rich and have everything they need? Their life is much better and without hard work.”

“That is true but you’re looking from the outside. Look at the inside of that person and you’ll be surprised by the emptiness he has. He never appreciates anything and he doesn’t know the meaning of hard work and success. He doesn’t live his life to the fullest and that will end up with a bad result.”

Kayla knew a few rich girls; she didn’t like them because they thought they are better than everyone else. But now, after what her father said, she made a promise to herself that next time she’ll be good to them and she’ll love them to try and fill the emptiness they have.

Kayla didn’t like seeing people suffer. She hated sadness and pain. She loved a life full of sunshine, happiness, love, and rainbows. Her father always gave her that and she truly appreciated it.

“What about mom?” she asked in a small voice before she could stop herself. Her dad had told her that her mom is watching her and that she loves her a lot. She didn’t know anything other than that. She had never met her mother.

Her father had a thoughtful look on his face. It was the right time to tell her, he thought to himself. And that’s when he started,

“Kayla, your mom was a beautiful woman. You look a lot like her. She had the same blond hair and the same green eyes as you. When I met her, she was just as innocent and loving as you are now. I fell in love with her instantly. We got married and we had many happy adventures together. We barely fought; I couldn’t stay mad at her for more than ten minutes. We shared something real, something beautiful, we shared real love. And when October 2nd year 2000 came, it was time for you to be born. We were here at this hospital. The doctor said that there was a problem, she either gives birth to you and she dies or you die and she lives. Of course, your mom being the amazing woman she is gave birth to you and ended her life the moment you were born. But that day, I didn’t cry over her death and you shouldn’t either. I smiled because I was happy to have a gorgeous little girl and your mom went to heaven with a happy smile on her face. I could tell she didn’t regret it. She even wrote you a letter to prove that!”

“She died for me?” Kayla’s voice broke at the end.

“Yes Kayla. When you truly love someone, you’ll give up your life for them. I’m sure you would’ve done the exact same thing,” he told her “And when you go back home, I want you to take the letter from that pink box in your room and read it.”

Kayla knew that it was true. She is ready to die for her father or anyone she loves.

“But you said I could never open this box,” she answered recalling the pink box that has been lying in her room since the day she was born.

“It was a gift from your mother and it has the letter she wrote for you. I told you to never open it because I thought you weren’t ready for it but now you are.” he answered his daughter.

She nodded. Kayla already knew that her mom died but what she didn’t know is that she died for her. She felt a bit guilty at first but after what her father said, she felt special and loved. She adored her mother and she knew that she loves her back. Kayla had always dreamt of a beautiful woman smiling at her and she fitted the description her father just said. Somewhere inside her, she always knew that it was her mother.

“Daddy, why are we here? In a hospital? Are we going to the place where mom is?” Kayla was a bit scared. She didn’t know anything about death.

“No sweetie you’re not going anywhere,” her dad whispered stroking her cheek lovingly. The doctors were in the room now, ready to start the operation.

“You remember I told you earlier, ‘if you truly love someone, you’ll give up your life for them’?” he said and Kayla nodded, not liking where this was going “Yeah well that’s what I’m doing today. I just love you too much and I’ll do anything for you. I’m sorry for leaving you but you need this Kayla. Don’t worry, you will never be alone. Your mom and I are going to stay next to you throughout every step of your life. And there are many people who love you and will take good care of you. Just promise me that you’ll continue living your life like you always did because after the storm, comes the rainbow and you’re too beautiful to be sad,” he said and felt tears in his eyes.

“I promise daddy.I love you,” she said barely above a whisper with tears crawling down her cheeks. She didn’t know exactly what he meant but she knew that he was going to be with her mom and she’s staying here.

He smiled at his daughter who was now slowly falling unconscious. He knew that when she opens the pink box at home, she’ll find two letters. She’ll find one from him too and he knew deep down that his daughter will never break that promise. With that thought in mind, he drifted peacefully into unconsciousness as the doctors took the most important organ in his body and gave it to his daughter.

His heart.

His daughter needed a new heart and he didn’t have to think about it twice. He died with the same peaceful smile his wife had on her face eleven years ago…