Treat

Bridgette always likes something that is not too sweet, not too plain. Something nice for her sensitive tongue.

Serabi is one of them. A very paper-thin pancake made out of rice flour and coconut milk. Her favorite is the one with the cheese on top.

Thinking about it made her want to eat one. There was a serabi cart right across the street, but she couldn't. She forgot where she put her wallet. Wasn't it at home? Or at school? She couldn't stop staring at the cart, mouth slightly opened and licking her own lips.

"Hi."

A face suddenly appeared in her vision. An unfamiliar boy with reddish-brown hair and a pair of wide black eyes. Her nose caught a familiar smell. Looking down at the boy's hands, he was holding a serabi in each of his hands, one with cheese and one with chocolate sprinkles.

 Looking down at the boy's hands, he was holding a serabi in each of his hands, one with cheese and one with chocolate sprinkles

"Are you hungry?" he asked. "I have two serabis here."

Bridgette kept staring at the serabi. They looked so delicious, especially the cheese slowly melting on top. She nodded.

"Aha! I'm right!" the boy laughed. "You've been staring at the cart for a long time, so I guess you want some too." He offered the one with chocolate sprinkles. "Here."

Bridgette scrunched up her nose, glaring at the gooey melted chocolate sprinkle. The boy blinked in confusion before looking at his snacks. "Oh..." He offered the cheese one. "You prefer this one, right?"

Bridgette nodded, smiling. The boy, in turn, grinned at her. "Take it. It's for you."

Bridgette didn't hesitate to take the snack and took a bit of it. It was not too sweet, but not plain at the same time, and the cheese just added the flavor without overwhelming her tongue.

"It's good right?" the boy asked. Bridgette hummed as an answer. The boy smiled softly at her. "I'm Jonah, by the way."

Bridgette turned at him, blinking confusedly. The boy, Jonah, stretched out his hand. "Nice to meet you. What's your name?"

Her name? Oh. Okay.

Brigette took a few steps, standing straight facing the boy. She bowed slightly at him. "Hello. Nice to meet you." Her voice was slightly robotic and stiff as if she had rehearsed this before. "My name is Bridgette Eduarda Newton. I love photography. I hope we can be good friends."

The boy laughed. "No need to be so formal." To that, Bridgette blinked confusedly again. He shook his head. Stepping forward he grabbed her hand, giving her a little handshake.