20. nightmares

CHAPTER TWENTY
nightmares

Mitch wasn't lying when he said he could stay awake for an excessively long time. She wasn't sure how, but he'd been awake for over twenty four hours now. He'd stopped driving a few times for breaks, but never longer than an hour before they were on the road again.

Angeline was half way through her book when she realised the car was coming to a slow stop. Her eyes widened as she realised they were outside a relatively large house. She was slightly confused considering all she had seen for the past hour had been trees, trees and more trees.

Her breath hitched. "Is this it?" She asked, "is this the safe house?"

"No." Mitch shook his head. "It's a safe house of sorts, but not the one you're going to."

He unbuckled his seatbelt and Angeline frowned in confusion. "Then why are we here?"

"To rest. Only for a day or two. Then we're back on the road," Mitch said, "We can't keep staying in those motels, there's too much CCTV. Nobody knows this place exists, though. It's private-- CIA owns it."

Angeline said nothing as she copied Mitch's actions, unbuckling her own seatbelt and climbing out of the car. The air was slightly chilly and smelt of all of the trees surrounding them. It was different to being by a Californian beach, where the air was mostly always warm and the sea provided some fresh saltiness that reminded Angeline why she had chosen to live there instead of London with her mother.

Now, she was wishing she had picked London. No matter how dreary and cold and depressing it could be in comparison to the way that they sold it to the rest of the world.

Mitch was handing her her duffel bag before she could even close the door and she realised that she had zoned out. He sent her a pointed look-- the same one that meant 'stay alert', and he slung his own duffel bag over his broad shoulder before heading towards the house. Angeline noticed a few other cars parked in the huge driveway, tinted windows and all.

Before she could even ask, Mitch explained it to her. "There are other agents here."

He moved to the door and pressed his pointer finger against what looked like a pressure sensor, a red light scanning from underneath. There was the sound of a door unlocking and Mitch grabbed the handle, yanking it open and stepping inside. Angeline followed.

"You need fingerprint access?" Angeline asked curiously.

Mitch nodded.

"What if somebody cut off your finger and then unlocked the door with it?" She asked.

"Then that would be very unfortunate," he replied, "Although, there was a camera tracking my eyes, too-- so they would need them as well."

Angeline frowned. She hadn't seen any cameras. Although, she guessed if this place was for the CIA then they most likely had the best of the best technology and security systems. It made her feel safer as she entered the foyer, her head craning to look around at the staircase and the doors leading into other rooms of the house.

It was nowhere near as big as the house her father had owned, but it was still big. She was about to ask Mitch about the other agents staying there when they heard footsteps coming from the kitchen. A man walked in, a gun pointed to them.

"Relax." Mitch rolled his eyes, hands up in defence. "It's just me."

Angeline was as still as a statue as she waited for him to lower his gun, which the man eventually did. He was probably about ten years older than Mitch, in his early thirties, and he was just as tall and muscular. His skin was quite pale as if he didn't go out that much and he had dark hair and light eyes.