The Immortal Count

Most accounts say he was born in the 1690s. Other accounts say he was alive in the time of Jesus and attended the wedding at Cana. He was also said to be present at the council of Nicaea in 325 A.D. What is almost unanimously agreed on, however, is that Saint-Germain became accomplished in the art of alchemy ... the foremost goal of which was the creation of the elusive "philosopher's stone," which, it was claimed, could be used in an elixir that would impart immortality on those who drank it. 

Saint-Germain first came into prominence in the high society of Europe in 1742. He beguiled the royals and the rich with his vast knowledge of science and history, his musical ability, his easy charm and quick wit. Saint-Germain traveled extensively throughout Europe over the next 40 years - and in all that time never seemed to age. The renowned 18th philosopher, Voltaire said of Saint-Germain that he is "a man who never dies, and who knows everything."

Between 1880 and 1900, Saint-Germain's name once again became prominent when members of the Theosophical Society, including famed mystic Helena Blavatsky, claimed that he was still alive and working toward the "spiritual development of the West." There is even an allegedly genuine photo taken of Blavatsky and Saint-Germain together (S-G far right).

The most recent appearance of a man claiming to be Saint-Germain was in 1972 in Paris when a man named Richard Chanfray announced he was the legendary count. He appeared on French television, and to prove his claim apparently turned lead into gold on a camp stove before the cameras. Chanfray later committed suicide in 1983.