Chapter 12

(Oikawa POV)

A hefty exhale of breath unintentionally pushed past my lips the moment I was finally able to remove the absurdly heavy bags that hung from my shoulders since leaving Hinata's residence. The beginning of the journey held a promise that the bags were light enough to cause no problems, but each minute seemed to add an extra pound to each bag, causing the straps to dig further into my tender shoulders. I was unable to show any outward discomfort in fear of causing Hinata to feel responsible, so the constant need to adjust the straps had tested my pain tolerance meticulously. My determination in preventing Hinata from carrying the heavier of his two bags he opted to bring along lent me the strength to successfully complete the trip.

The bag I carried for Hinata was filled to the brim with clothing and the oddities that would be required for a successful sleepover whilst the backpack perched on Hinata's back was stuffed with his school supplies for tomorrow. He was still not a hundred percent steady on his feet, his muscles most likely feeling fatigued from an unfriendly concoction of a difficult training session and his recent panic attack. His unsteadiness was the reason I had offered to carry his bag in the first place, worried that the additional weight that would cause him more difficulties on his feet. I had offered to shoulder the burden of both of his bags, however he relentlessly fought to carry at least one, opting to allow me to carry the heavier as compensation.

I slid my key from where it sat in the lock of my front door, having already entered my abode and deposited the bags in the entranceway. Exchanging my outside shoes for my house slippers caused a small, content sigh to be released. The comfort changing my shoes brought my tired legs and feet was immense, topped with the light and floaty feeling that glided through my shoulders and the warm feeling of being home.

The three of us stood in the entrance area of the house, cut off from the rest of the house by a half wall that came up to my chest. Attached was an open living concept that housed the living and dining rooms, as well as the kitchen. The lounge housed a small, cream two-seat couch with a matching armchair, with a rectangular coffee table separating the seats from the television. A small bookcase held a few books on its top shelves while the bottom shelves were reserved for small trinkets and photo frames. The dining table sat directly behind the half wall, with six simple seats spread evenly around it's rectangular shape. The kitchen benches were mostly cleared, with a kettle and rice maker the only appliances able to be seen. It was simplistic, but enough for it's two occupants.

"I'll get you some guest slippers pup." I said, turning to face said boy after Iwaizumi shimmied past me, heart set on the armchair that was dubbed his. I caught the tail end of curiosity displayed upon Hinata's face as his eyes swept the room.

I gestured Hinata to the unoccupied couch, lifting the bags so to store them within my bedroom. Moving with practiced ease, despite the dull ache that inhabited my body thanks to training this morning, I made my way through the house to the linen closet once the bags were safely resting within my rooms confines. I retrieved a pair of guest slippers for Hinata to don, mentally putting 'find a more appropriate place for guest slippers that is closer to the front door' on a to-do list.

Both Iwaizumi and Hinata were sat similarly with their feet tucked up onto the cushion beside them upon my return. Lowering myself onto the cushions on the other end of the couch with no real care, I held the guest slippers for Hinata to grab, which he tenderly did with a small 'thank you senpai'. The inclusion of senpai on the end of his sentence was almost lost in the space between us, but my sensitive ears picked up the sound within the silence. I decided to pretend for the honorific to have not been heard to save us both embarrassment by my hand, however my cheeks heated up a fraction against my will.

A silence rested upon the three of us for a few moments, allowing me time to properly work through the thoughts that had plagued my mind since the encounter with the Karasuno trio earlier in the day. I couldn't help but feel guilty about the events that had transpired through the day, even after reminding myself that I was not at fault. 'What if's ran through my head as I pondered over what I could've done better. What if I hadn't gone to Hinata's apartment in an attempt to ensure he was alright? What if I hadn't gotten there when I did? What if Iwaizumi didn't agree to go with me? I would have been completely useless without Iwaizumi's calm and rational side there to instruct me on what to do. Thank fuck things didn't turn into the worst possible situation; I didn't even want to know what that would've entailed.