Chapter 5: Lost and Found

Ella has done a lot in her life whilst intoxicated: she has made out with a lot of people, solved a few crimes here and there, but most importantly, she usually had very few regrets. She liked to have fun and live wild while she still could. Did she get her heart broken a couple of times? Sure thing! She knew that sometimes had to happen in order for better things to come her way.

There was one thing she did regret ever having happened, ever having said: Maze.

She didn't necessarily regret kissing Maze although that is still something that has her mind foggy with confusion. She mostly regretted saying what she had. She had certainly kissed Eve in the past and it wasn't something she regretted either but this was different. How she felt about Maze wasn't a "girls' night out" type of fun or a "being kissed while having a slight panic attack while drugged and being held hostage" type of- well, calling that fun would be a stretch. No, this was different and she had blown it. What was she supposed to say while kissing a girl that made her heart beat so fast that she felt as if she might suffocate?

That was now over a month ago. Mazikeen hasn't turned up since she ran away that night. Whenever Ella asked about her, Chloe kind of tried dodging the subject so she realised she wasn't fully gone just ... avoiding her. She wasn't sure what stung more. The first few weeks hurt more than it should which made her realise she had some digging to do regarding what her own heart desires. That's when she started missing Lucifer even more since he was great at topics such as desire. But alas, her friend was nowhere to be found.

Until last week, that is.

Last week, Lucifer had strolled into their building as nonchalant as ever. 'Who here missed me?' He had nearly shouted for the entire department to hear, a massive smirk on his face. Ella believed Chloe was about to have a heart attack upon seeing him. She surely believed that now #Deckerstar was established, Lucifer wouldn't throw tantrums in which he ran away again, especially without telling Chloe or even Ella herself about it! Chloe had tried to look as collected as possible the entire duration he had been gone but Ella saw right through it. Whenever her friend didn't feel like talking about it, she just remained by her side for support instead. Sometimes, they watched a film at Chloe's place and she could swear she felt Maze's presence while she was there. But that was silly, of course! 

Back to Lucifer now, he had allowed Ella to nearly squeeze him back to Hell with her welcoming hug. She truly was glad to see him again, also happy to know Chloe would feel happier now that he's back. But he hasn't been around much since then and Ella has questions, namely about Mazikeen and her whereabouts. Was there any chance of fixing what she had said to her if she couldn't take it back? If only she had realised how she felt when Maze was on top of her, lips pressed on hers. The thought alone made her knees week and her heart ache.

In truth, every thought Ella had these days ended with her thinking about Maze.

'Ella?' Once again thinking about Mazikeen, Ella snapped out of her thoughts to see Chloe eyeing her suspiciously. 'You doing okay?'

'Yeah! Yeah, I am! We've really had to ask each other that quite often lately, haven't we?' Ella asked nervously. She had vaguely talked about her feelings with Chloe in the previous month but she never truly explained or went in-depth because she wanted to figure it all out on her own. And because she felt a bit embarrassed. 

'Anyways,' Ella continued. 'How does it feel to have your hubby back?' She playfully tapped Chloe's arm. 

She had expected a happy reply or at least had hoped for it, but instead, she got a lengthy sigh. 'I don't know,' Chloe then said. 'Something is up.'

Ella really felt like making an inappropriate joke at that but refrained from doing so. Not the time nor place, judging from Chloe's face.

'He's finally back but he barely mentions anything from his time ... abroad. I feel like he's not telling me something.'