Chapter 12

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us."

****

Harry's POV

In the time since Adilyn had left for the hospital, we have all remained sprawled out in the lounge room, too exhausted to do anything but watch movie after movie. I had removed myself briefly from the lounge when Naz and me had cooked lunch on the barbeque for everyone. Eating outside in the afternoon sun before returning to our places in front of the TV.

My head had been pounding for most of the day, an unhappy reminder of how much I had to drink last night. After devouring a plate piled high with food and several cups of coffee I started to feel like myself again.

I currently lay sideways on the lounge, legs stretched out on the cushions in front of me and back pressed against the armrest.

This morning when I had stretched Adilyn's legs to rest on my lap I was surprised to notice another tattoo inked into the skin on top of her foot. I couldn't seem to get the four simple strokes out of my head, wondering all day what they had meant. The lines to me looked similar to tallies but I could be wrong. What would she be counting anyway?

My mind replays Adilyn's words to me from last night as she had explained the tattoo that lay on her ribs. Even in my heavily intoxicated state, it was impossible to miss the raw pain that had crossed her face when she had spoken of the 'unforgivable wounds of her past.'

Her words had only intrigued me, making me desperate to know what could make such innocent features hold such anguish. By the way in which her face had contracted in a panic this morning when she saw me notice the tattoo on her foot, I have a feeling the two are connected to a significant part of her past.

My gaze drifts to the windows on the side of the wall, the sun has long gone from the sky now. Adilyn has still not returned from the hospital, but I imagine birth to take a while, so I suppose that is normal. Mila doesn't seem to be worried by Adilyn's lack of return as she sits crossed-legged on the sofa to my right, Cooper sprawled out next to her, his head casually resting on her knee.

Mila's words to Adilyn from last night ring in my ear.

"I know you miss them..."

"I know you blame yourself..."

"But maybe one day someone can help take the pain away... I tried to but I wasn't strong enough."

The words still play over in my head, the conversation unable to be forgotten. It was clear that Adilyn has gone through something terrible. It was also clear that it still haunted her even though she desperately tried to hide it.

I am becoming more and more intrigued by Adilyn, each conversation bringing forward new unexpected layers to her. She's a mystery and all I can think about is unravelling the clues.

I glance down at my watch: nine o'clock. My eyes are already feeling heavy and my body feels drained from lack of sleep last night. I let my eyes drift back to the movie, letting my mind clear as I relax further into the cushions. Another hour passes by and a few people have already retired to bed. After my blinks start to slow dramatically, I decide I should stop fighting off sleep and give in.

I push myself wearily off the lounge and start to make my way to my room. It is the last room in the hallway, far enough away from the lounge room that the sounds of the movie are no longer heard.

Walking into the room, I swing the door closed behind me, moving to the small bathroom that is attached to my room. I splash some warm water on my face before reaching for my toothbrush. After finishing up, I walk back into the room towards the bed. My room is quite large, holding a queen-sized bed in the middle and large wardrobes along one side of the area. The wall behind the bed is a deep maroon, making the room appear luxurious.