Rules & Guidelines

Below is a breakdown regarding the rules and guidelines specific to the English 2021 Open Novella Contest

Below is a breakdown regarding the rules and guidelines specific to the English 2021 Open Novella Contest. Please read the following information carefully because they will explain everything you need to know about how to qualify and submit your novella for this year's ONC.

⚈ ⚈ ⚈

The goal of the Open Novella Contest is to challenge participants to write a whole novella between 20,000 and 40,000 words in 13 weeks

The goal of the Open Novella Contest is to challenge participants to write a whole novella between 20,000 and 40,000 words in 13 weeks. Participants are able to enter the contest by writing your entries using one of the given prompts that will be in a separate chapter set to go live on February 1st.

After completing each round, you will be submitting your entry to us via the 1st link on this hyperlinked linktree, which has gone live! Your entry will be judged on several aspects, containing, but not limited to, technical (spelling, punctuation, grammar) and content-related criteria.

Those who meet the word count milestone and cross the score threshold for that round will advance into the next one. Any author(s) with the highest score in each round will be receiving a shout-out from the OpenNovellaContest profile, a winning sticker for that round, and the first place in that round will receive a custom cover for their novella created by our graphics team.

Everyone who reaches the word count milestone will receive an exclusive ONC sticker to showcase on their cover, regardless of whether you make it to the next round or not. Yes, you heard that right, you still get the milestone stickers even if you don't advance to the next round!

The final round will have one grand winner. The grand winner will receive some pretty great swag that will be accompanying their winning entry. To see the full list of prizes available for this season's ONC, please see our Prizes chapter.

We know that we're throwing a lot of information out there and it can be a little confusing but fear not! We'll have an FAQ chapter going up for everyone to hopefully clear a few things up.

The contest contains three rounds and you'll be challenged to reach a certain word count milestone for each of those.